PDA

View Full Version : Buspar.

anna_0range
09-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I just recently started Buspar. At first i didnt think it was helping, and now im starting to feel great! Clear headed and like i can finnaly conquer this anxiety head on. It is a azaspirodecanedione. Ie helps alter your seritonin.
Its not addicting either. And sence its not an anti-depressant it does not alter your mood at all! It is a drug souly created for general anxiety disorder.

I reccomend you read about it on wikipedia. And if you like what you read ask about it!

Today i was able to socialize with my friends, it felt great. I hadnt been anywhere but school and home for the past month! And today i went outside! It felt amazing.

punkgod94
09-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Anna, glad to hear that it works for you!!! It does wonders for some people, and doesn't do SQUAT for other people. You're one of the lucky ones :) Make sure you do some behavioral modifcations as well so that you don't "relapse" and think the medications not working. Now that you're in a better position, try to eat better or exercise a little and take care of yourself before anyone else, and it'll help keep you stay this anxiety-free!! Keep us updated if it changes for you.

anna_0range
09-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah it seems to be working pretty well. although i still do have issues with the eating thing..

What do you mean by behavoral modifications, because i dont know how i feel towards anti-depresents. i dont think i need them because im a very positive person.

punkgod94
09-18-2008, 05:37 PM
By behavior modifications I mean things like - going outside for a walk if you're a "homebody" who rarely leaves the house, maybe cutting caffeine out of your usual caffenated beverages, meditating (any way that works for you...bubble baths, regular massages, etc), but also changing the negative aspects of your life that may be contributing to your anxiety that you DO have control over. Anxiety is a mix of genes as well as environment. While you have no control over your brain and how it acts, you DO have control over other things like what you eat, how much you exercise, hanging out with friends when you may not necessarily want to. Stuff like that. You seem like a positive enough person though, so you may not even have to worry about that stuff. Always good to keep in the back of your mind though. If everything seems to be working with the meds you're currently prescribed, I suggest you stay away from other medications because it gets complicated when you add more medications to the mix.

Robbed
09-19-2008, 05:22 PM
While you have no control over your brain and how it acts, you DO have control over other things like what you eat, how much you exercise, hanging out with friends when you may not necessarily want to. Stuff like that.

Actually, you DO have control over your brain and how it acts. And the things you mention are one way that this is done. The brain is different in MANY ways from your computer. With your computer, for instance, hardware is fixed and unchanging, unless you get in there and change things. But in the human brain, the line between hardware and software is not NEARLY so distinct as in a computer. When you learn to think differently, the brain literally changes physically. Of course, it is important to realize that this change comes VERY slow, and only after much repetition. This is one of the reasons why anxiety recovery is SO slow. As a result, SO many people write off making such changes as being ineffective. However, these physical changes are also the reason why SO many people who successfully recover from anxiety disorder report that their lives are SO much better than they were before they developed anxiety disorder. Of course, this applies to cognitive treatment of anxiety disorder. If we are talking about dietary changes, then what we are REALLY doing is trying to better supply the brain with the nutrients that it needs. And by going from a nutritionally deprived brain to a brain that has everything it needs, we most definitely ARE changing how the brain acts.

punkgod94
09-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Actually, you DO have control over your brain and how it acts. And the things you mention are one way that this is done.

You're absolutely correct. What I was getting at though is that you're brain won't just "snap out of it" on it's own unless you do things to aid it such as changing your diet, exercising, etc. Like you said though, you usually have to do some behavioral modifications or dietary changes, therapy, or other things before your brain chemistry will change. I've even heard doctors saying how if you take an anti-depressant for so long that your brain sometimes can realize the change and start to produce normal serotonin levels again. It's like rebooting your harddrive. You show it how it's supossed to work for so long, and eventually it will!. Very good point though.

Stellar1024
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Interesting, I tried buspar for 3 days and had some CRAZY dreams that were just too much for me.. I didn't sleep well and had to stop taking it. It makes me feel a little fuzzy headed as well. Diff strokes for diff folks I suppose.

anxiousjoe
12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
About a month and a half ago my GP put me on buspar for my anxiety. My anxiety persisted and after another er visit for a panic attack they increased my dose of it. It made me feel ill about an hour after taking it and I was getting "brain shocks" like where I'd move my arm and I'd feel a shock from my brain to my fingertips. I put up with it in hope that it would somehow help and it never did.

I saw my therapist for the first time this tuesday and she says that the most usual response from buspar is that it doesn't do anything. She wanted me on ativan for right now until she can finish diagnosing me and then probably prescribe something along with it.

My GP finally gave me the ativan because of her recommendation and I'm happy I finally have something to help me a little with my anxiety. In my opinion, buspar is garbage.

KariBerry9
12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I took Buspar in 2003 and it helped A LOT so I quit taking it. I started it again this year about 2 months ago and I HATE it. It gave me HORRIBLE dreams and also when I was asleep I couldn't wake myself up. Anyone know of something else to try?

fernandogress
09-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Buspirone is indicated for the management of anxiety disorders or the short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety or tension associated with the stress of everyday life usually does not require treatment with an anxiolytic.
The efficacy of buspirone has been demonstrated in controlled clinical trials of outpatients whose diagnosis roughly corresponds to Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). Many of the patients enrolled in these studies also had coexisting depressive symptoms and buspirone relieved anxiety in the presence of these coexisting depressive symptoms. The patients evaluated in these studies had experienced symptoms for periods of 1 month to over 1 year prior to the study, with an average symptom duration of 6 months.

TinfoilxTouch
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Like I've said many times before, I was on it for ~3 months and it certainly helped with anxiety and somewhat with depression too. However, the stuff made me totally exhausted. I'm talking about not being able to keep my eyes open at work while having a conversation with my boss. I started to notice at 30mg/day, it was impossible to deal with at 60mg/day, and even when I went back down to 15mg/day it made me feel that way. Go figure.