PDA

View Full Version : My Morphing Anxiety: Signs of recovery or ruined life?

Wilymitch
12-15-2015, 05:24 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is Will, I'm 25yrs old. I'm fit, healthy, have a great job and a wonderful life (until recently).

So please bear with me, this is a short story of my anxiety journey so far. I would really appreciate any comments, experiences, or support. My story is made all the more depressing for me because I am to blame for the anxiety which I now suffer through one stupid act which I will never repeat, but I'll get to that.

It started four months ago in August. I was at a party with some friends and long story short, I took cocaine. This is something I did very ad hoc and was the 4th or 5th time I had done it. This time though was very different - I started to feel weird, cold and a little like was floating. Suddenly, a HUGE rush of something which I know know to be adrenaline cascaded from my head to my toes nearly knocking me to the floor. Heart pounding, hands shaking, head rushing, rushing, rushing. Needless to say, I ended up taking myself to hospital thinking I was about to die. I was discharged 7hrs later, tests were normal and no damage to the heart.

It took me a week or so to get back to normal. After three weeks, I felt fine. I was out with friends again, enjoying myself safe in the knowledge that this was behind me and I was never doing any drug again. It was going to be all ok from here on out, right? Wrong. I had another huge wave of adrenaline when I was on holiday in Scotland. We were driving to the highlands and I was hungover in the passenger seat. Agian it hit me like a train and I started shaking and twitching, heart pounding - made all the worse by the fact I had to try and hide this from my three mates also in the car ( I haven't told them, or anyone really). This ruined my holiday and I was on edge, shaking and shivering for 3 days.

I went the doctor again and was on the phone to 111 practically all the time for reassurance (they are amazing btw) and I started to understand better what was happening and how to stop it. Recognition has helped me to stop those waves from happening again. It was then that my anxiety morphed into something else.

It started with the fear I was loosing my memory. Whenever I forgot a name in conversation or forgot anything really (which is quite normal in daily life) I would start to think: "why can't I remember that, what's wrong with my mind, have i lost my memory, do I have dementia!" My vision would start to close in, but would always stop as it reached it's zenith and dissipate.

When, after a few weeks I realised I wasn't going to loose my memory, it morphed again into the fear I was going to be sick. In trains, meetings, anywhere I would suddenly and unexplainabley get the strong feeling I was about to vomit all over the carriage or person next to me. Again, this would be accompanied by a slow and sharp rising sensation from my stomach and my head until... it reached climax, I wasn't sick and the feeling dispersed, usually with me swearing at it under my breath.

Next, passing out. This I have realised from this forum is fairly common and consisted of similar feelings to what I have described above with memory and vomiting. I can usually get these feelings under control, particularly when the end result (fainting, vomiting, loosing my mind) doesn't actually happen. However, having just started a new job, it's morphed again - after being quiet for a few weeks.

This time, it's much more physical. Tension headaches are the nearest I can research to the feeling. Slow, quiet headaches in the back of my skull and neck which feel like I've got cold blood or someone is blowing air on the back of my head. I had this once before at the meal I mentioned earlier, when it got bad i was shaking like a leaf, could barely turn my head. This feels like a mild onset of that - but it's worst at night. It takes me ages to get to sleep and I often jerk myself awake as a result of this tension creeping into my head and neck. No matter how hard I try, I can't 'think' this away like I could the others and it seems to last for days (it's been almost 6 so far and still won't reseed). Today at work, as I write this, it's at it's worst and I feel like I'm going to start getting the shakes at any moment and have to scuttle off home feigning illness.

I guess I wanted to share my story with you so far. But I also wanted to ask a serious question.

If I'm honest with myself, my symptoms are a lot better now that they were 3 months ago. I no longer get thrown into crippling anxiety, but rather have the occasional or slow, steady instances which feel more like a prelude to the main event...which thankfuly, so far, hasn't returned.

With that in mind, is this a sign that I am recovering? Am I getting better and will this eventually be a distant memory? Or have I genuinely ruined my life by what I did and assigned myself to a miserable existence? I had a great life without care - and now this is ruining me completely, it's soul destroying and it's hard to see a permanent end in sight.

Again, sorry for the long post, but I would greatly appreciate any opinions, experiences and advice from those who suffer, have suffered and indeed those I know suffer more than I do now. My heart truly go's out to you.

Thank you.

W

Anne1221
12-15-2015, 10:05 AM
You did not do yourself any permanent harm. What I suspect is that you were predisposed to having anxiety and you may have triggered something. People without any anxiety in their DNA do lots of drugs and drink but they don't have any anxiety issues. I wouldn't consider them lucky though because drinking and drugs will affect your health in the long run.

sallgoodmon
12-19-2015, 07:14 AM
It sounds like the bad reaction to the cocaine shook you up more than you realise and a result you have been feeling anxious. Beating yourself up about doing it probably isn't helping either. What's done is done but you haven't condemned yourself to a miserable life; people make mistakes and life is full of ups and downs. Big life changes, like starting your new job, can trigger anxiety too. I think the tendency to focus on physical symptoms and over analyse how bad they make you feel is possibly encouraging you to assume the worst, which is detrimental because you get stuck in a loop of worrying about what's going to happen next. Anxiety and stress do cause problems with memory and sleep disturbance, you just have to remember that these are symptoms of the illness and that they don't define you as a person. The best thing you can do is reassure yourself that things will get better, look after yourself and try to focus on things you enjoy doing. I think it's important as anxiety can really knock your self-esteem. Have you ever looked into mindfulness and progressive muscle relaxation? Maybe do a search for these terms and see what you find (I would provide links but apparently I can't until I reach 25 posts!) Progressive muscle relaxation in particular really helps me de-stress. You wouldn't believe how much we tense our muscles and how good it feels to release the tension from them. Hopefully it might help you.

Wilymitch
12-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Thanks for your reply's guys. I think you are right - having the bad reaction to cocaine really did shake me up (I genuinely thought I was going to die in the cab on the way to the hospital).

I did Yoga for the first time this morning and it felt really good but to be honest didn't seem to shake the constant tension I have in my neck and head. I didn't sleep well last night either so this may be why...

Thankfully, my company being a large corporate has a host of options around mindfulness and well-fullness etc which I might look into after Christmas. Similarly, once Christmas is over it's a serious health drive in January which might help. Yoga, swimming, gyming etc. and healthy eating.

For now, I just have to try not to let my symptoms get the better of me - often they stay the same but as yoiu say I always think to what the next (worst) step is that's coming. Hopefully I'll be OK over Christmas...