PDA

View Full Version : Beta Blockers and Anxiety. Safest alternative?

springwater
12-06-2015, 11:40 PM
I discovered beta blockers a few years ago when looking for things to help in the fear of public speaking. After much research, I decided to give it a try and was surprised by the results. Not only was I able to control the physical symptoms of anxiety such as fidgeting, perspiration, and stuttering, but I felt in CONTROL. Although the anxiety/fear was still in the back of my mind, no one noticed. I also noticed it helped me with my social anxiety and whenever I experienced general anxiety. I thought I write about this great alternative to benzos and antidepressants as it doesnt come with the withdrawals or side effects they do. Only thing you have to be careful with is not combining it with meds that it interacts with and being a healthy individual (no heart problems, etc.) as well as not having low blood pressure. Reason being is that it lowers your blood pressure, so it wouldnt make sense to take it if you have naturally low blood pressure. I really hope this helps someone looking for an alternative medication.

Dahila
12-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Beta blockers will lower your blood pressure,and lower heart beat, and they are dangerous for people who take them. Taking them without need and doc prescription (sorry) is simply unwise!!
I am being gentle here :)

Robert Tressell
12-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Propranolol works for me ; so much more confident as it helps the shakes and the racing heart in social situations, presentations etc.
My GP was fine with me taking 20 mg when required. They've helped me tremendously.

Dahila
12-09-2015, 12:16 AM
When Not To Use

This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to propranolol, or if you have asthma or certain heart problems. Hemangeol™ should not be given to children weighing less than 2 kilograms or to premature babies younger than 5 weeks of age. It should not be given to children who are vomiting or not eating, have pheochromocytoma, or have a history of asthma or a breathing problem.
Warnings

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, angina (chest pain), heart failure, breathing problems, diabetes, glaucoma, or an overactive thyroid. Tell your doctor if you have Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or a history of severe allergic reactions.

This medicine may cause the following problems:

Worsening of chest pain, heart attack (if treatment is stopped suddenly)
Heart failure
Low blood sugar levels
An increased risk of stroke in children with PHACE syndrome (severe blood vessel problems in the brain)

Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.

This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or lightheaded. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.

Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine.

Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.

Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone. Drugs and Foods to Avoid

Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.

Some medicines can affect how propranolol works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following medicines:
Bupropion, chlorpromazine, cimetidine, ciprofloxacin, digoxin, dobutamine, epinephrine, fluconazole, fluoxetine, montelukast, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampin, theophylline, thioridazine, or ticlopidine
other blood pressure medicine (clonidine, diltiazem, nicardipine, nifedipine, nisoldipine, prazosin, verapamil), medicine for heart rhythm problems (propafenone, quinidine), medicine to lower cholesterol (cholestyramine, colestipol, lovastatin, pravastatin), medicine to treat migraine headaches (rizatriptan, zolmitriptan), a steroid medicine, an MAO inhibitor, medicine to treat depression, NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib), or warfarin
Btw you Gp is half brain or have you convince him?

Robert Tressell
12-09-2015, 11:35 AM
When Not To Use

This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to propranolol, or if you have asthma or certain heart problems. Hemangeol™ should not be given to children weighing less than 2 kilograms or to premature babies younger than 5 weeks of age. It should not be given to children who are vomiting or not eating, have pheochromocytoma, or have a history of asthma or a breathing problem.
Warnings

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, angina (chest pain), heart failure, breathing problems, diabetes, glaucoma, or an overactive thyroid. Tell your doctor if you have Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome or a history of severe allergic reactions.

This medicine may cause the following problems:

Worsening of chest pain, heart attack (if treatment is stopped suddenly)
Heart failure
Low blood sugar levels
An increased risk of stroke in children with PHACE syndrome (severe blood vessel problems in the brain)

Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.

This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or lightheaded. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.

Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine.

Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.

Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone. Drugs and Foods to Avoid

Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.

Some medicines can affect how propranolol works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following medicines:
Bupropion, chlorpromazine, cimetidine, ciprofloxacin, digoxin, dobutamine, epinephrine, fluconazole, fluoxetine, montelukast, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampin, theophylline, thioridazine, or ticlopidine
other blood pressure medicine (clonidine, diltiazem, nicardipine, nifedipine, nisoldipine, prazosin, verapamil), medicine for heart rhythm problems (propafenone, quinidine), medicine to lower cholesterol (cholestyramine, colestipol, lovastatin, pravastatin), medicine to treat migraine headaches (rizatriptan, zolmitriptan), a steroid medicine, an MAO inhibitor, medicine to treat depression, NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib), or warfarin
Btw you Gp is half brain or have you convince him?

I only use them as required. Your post above is a bit alarmist.

Dahila
12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Beta blockers are not taken as required they are medication for High blood pressure and I am on it for over ten years. I wish i was not on it, but i have to. YOu do not , I am not alarmist, I know what you are putting yourself in. It is like people who take a huge doses of benzos to get high. Sorry but this is how I see it. Most people do not realize the dangers of that med

Anglfrmhvn69
12-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I agree with dahila I just recently came off nadolol for high bp never will I take a beta blocker and it didn't help my anxiety

Robert Tressell
12-11-2015, 08:55 AM
Beta blockers are not taken as required they are medication for High blood pressure and I am on it for over ten years. I wish i was not on it, but i have to. YOu do not , I am not alarmist, I know what you are putting yourself in. It is like people who take a huge doses of benzos to get high. Sorry but this is how I see it. Most people do not realize the dangers of that med

I take mine as prescribed, when required, as do a lot of people with performance anxiety. Your experience is your own but in the UK BB are rarely prescribed for control of blood pressure.

Dahila
12-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Yes Robert I am aware that in Europe doctors have a different approach to a lot of diseases. They prefer people to suffer with constant panic attacks cause benzo is a huge NO in Europe. I am kind of happy I left Europe 25 years ago.,

Anxiety :
1) Physical effects
2) Mental effects
3) Emotional effects

While beta blockers effectively target the physical effects, the mental and emotional effects (such as focus and concentration issues, self-doubt, self-criticism, over-analysis, memory slips, and feelings of panic) are not directly addressed by the beta blockers. Though we tend to be preoccupied with the physical effects of anxiety, there are studies which suggest that the mental and emotional components of performance anxiety are more to blame for poor performances than the physical elements.
Why Do Some People Swear by Beta Blockers?
There are several possibilities.

Placebo effect.
There is an old rule of thumb, suggesting that about 1/3rd of the people who try any given treatment (assuming they believe it will work) will respond favorably whether it “actually” works or not. So on average, you might expect 1 out of every 3 people who try beta blockers to find that it works for them.
Reduces distractions. For those who have difficulty focusing past the physical effects, beta blockers can be a way of reducing the number of distractions to deal with during performances, which could then indirectly translate into better performances.
Don’t know what else to do. For individuals who are debilitated by their nerves, and for whom anything is better than nothing, beta blockers may feel like a godsend. However, over time, they might begin to feel that they are not reaching their peak. They may definitely be playing better, even at a very high level, but perhaps not to the outer edges of the limits of their ability.
It about summing it up;))) BTW I am old woman, dealing with anxiety for over 40 years and tried everything:))