PDA

View Full Version : Losing job AGAIN

Robert Tressell
12-04-2015, 02:40 PM
hi all, been a while!
Well, after 19 months in my job, due to the collapse in the oil market i'm facing redundancy again in January.
I've done well with my anxiety over the last 2 years despite job instability ( I was made redundant just 2 years ago as well ).
Propanol has helped me with the physical symptoms...but now I have to start all over again and i'm terrified the anxiety will return.
One day at a time, again, I guess........?

cloudy black
12-04-2015, 03:53 PM
hello Robert really sorry that you are losing your job. just remember, that as you say, you managed well with your anxiety in the last 2 years. i would encourage you to stay positive and not to dwell on the what if. otherwise you will open the door to anxiety. "dont think yourself into anxiety" yes and i would recommend one day at a time and if needed 1 hour at a time. i know that if i try to think forward to what if/worst case scenario then my coping ability is seriously depleted. there was a time in my life when i had to just think no further than what was immediate because i needed to be strong for my parents and myself.

Robert Tressell
12-05-2015, 07:17 AM
hello Robert really sorry that you are losing your job. just remember, that as you say, you managed well with your anxiety in the last 2 years. i would encourage you to stay positive and not to dwell on the what if. otherwise you will open the door to anxiety. "dont think yourself into anxiety" yes and i would recommend one day at a time and if needed 1 hour at a time. i know that if i try to think forward to what if/worst case scenario then my coping ability is seriously depleted. there was a time in my life when i had to just think no further than what was immediate because i needed to be strong for my parents and myself.

hi and thanks. Yes, you're correct, "what if" thinking is negative and scary, best to "live in the day"!

just been a shock to the system to be made redundant again, though I work in the Oil industry which is on it's knees currently and my company has seen a 50% drop in orders over this last 12 months, so I can be sure it's nothing I've done to deserve this fate!

thanks again for your good advice and reply

The Intolerable Kid
12-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Doesn't sound like it's your fault, you're just a victim of circumstance here like a lot of us. You are quite right to try and live in the moment in an attempt to minimize your anxiety. However, you should also do some practical planning ahead to minimize anxiety, down size your budget explore other opportunities as soon as you can. Good luck to you. Remember victory loves preparation.

Robert Tressell
12-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Doesn't sound like it's your fault, you're just a victim of circumstance here like a lot of us. You are quite right to try and live in the moment in an attempt to minimize your anxiety. However, you should also do some practical planning ahead to minimize anxiety, down size your budget explore other opportunities as soon as you can. Good luck to you. Remember victory loves preparation.

Thank you. Good advice. Like the last line!

Overcomer_84
12-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Completely agree. If you can start planning ahead, it will help reduce the stress and anxiety.

cloudy black
12-12-2015, 09:26 AM
yep thats good advice i started doing this some years ago because of struggling with both anxiety and depression it takes the pressure off plus it cuts you a bit of slack for when you just cant push the mule up the hill!

however i have slipped this week and got into a mess but i just think it is what it is and i will get it sorted.