PDA

View Full Version : What kind of of social support do you need/what for your anxiety?

Fahrenheit
12-02-2015, 08:35 PM
I wanted to throw a question out to you all. I'm curious: What kind of of social support do you need/want for your anxiety? Do you have friends/family members/therapists/cats/online communities that you can reach out to when you are anxious? If so, what is the best way for them to help you? What are the worst ways for them to try to help you, i.e. what well-intended things actually make it worse?

I find that the first thing I am looking for is just an understanding ear. Someone who will validate my feelings no matter how big or small the cause - not someone who will tell me I am right or wrong to feel how I feel, but just understand that the feeling is very real for me. Nor do I want someone to be falsely reassuring, but for someone to listen to what I feel, sit with it without diminishing it or telling my how I SHOULD feel (because I do so much or that myself. I feel anxious, and then I blame myself for the way I feel) Advice is always helpful and welcome, and I often ask for it, but I like my advice to be delivered from a place of understanding why I struggle with anxiety in the first place, and not advice that offers a 'solution' to my 'problem' - more, advice that offers a way for me to manage a situation and/or the way I feel about it - if that distinction makes sense? Mostly, I think I just want to feel heard, understood, and accepted. I am still building trust in my relationships so I have the courage to reach out for that. I sometime feel a lot of guilt about bothering people with my anxiety, especially if I feel like I am being oversensitive, or it isn't a 'real problem', or other people have it worse, etc. and people who don't feed that thinking in me, but just let me be as I am are invaluable.

I also struggle with when to reach out and when to self-soothe. I feel I have relied on self-soothing all my life, and have only recently begun to reach out - but I still don't know when to just talk things out with someone, and when to say 'I can handle this myself and so I won't take up anyone's time' and just hunker down and get to it.

How about you? What are you looking for from your support system, if you have one? If not, what would your idea support system look like? What are you doing to build that support system. Feel free to talk about what you need for yourself as well, because that should be a huge part of anyone's support system.

Urusainaa
12-03-2015, 03:39 AM
I'm looking for someone who will reassure me I think. I'd like them to say 'this thing you're worried about, you shouldn't be worried about it and here's why'.

With my most recent worries I don't know how possible that is.

cloudy black
12-03-2015, 04:57 AM
hi Fahrenheit. interesting question. just recently i have been seeing a counselor but this was due to the fact that i am classed as a carer for my dad. before that in a word nobody.

urm well i do have a friend who when she is not trying to save the world..we chat although at times i have had to waive a handkerchief because, oh does she talk and at times that's ok because i dont have anything constructive to say. but even she gets tired of her own voice LOL! it is a nervous thing i believe. all that aside she has been supportive. i hate the fix it dialogue at that usually says more about them than me.

i know what you mean about feeling guilty about bothering people. for me at the moment i see other people going through so much crap that i will not talk about my "pathetic issues" and anyway the mainstream of society cant deal with anxiety and depression arena. and sometimes i think, is that because they are struggling themselves and someone like me triggers the crud inside of them. also i am embarrassed by being like this with the anxiety and depression. so for the most part it is my crud is a growing internal elephant, black one at that.

i just put the "draw bridge up and put the croc's in the moat for when i am at my worst" for me i dont think a support system really exists i just have to grit me teeth and get on with it. i am not at all keen on the medical support team. that for me is a no no. so i know what i dont want but i cant picture what i do want. having probs with the forum it keeps telling me a timed out message doh!

MiST
12-03-2015, 06:00 AM
My kitty is my support..:D