PDA

View Full Version : Scawling on the wall

theodorewakefield
11-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Hi People,

Here for the first time posting, I have a history of mostly depression interspersed with a bit of anxiety to make it interesting. But I don't like to pigeon-hole myself, so I deny that I am anxious or depressive. I try to gather as much information as I can from forums like these, but don't really like to chip in because I don't think I have anything relevant to say.

But, I want to share techniques I have for anxiety, as I have tried a lot of self help techniques, bar turning to religion out right.

Off the top of my head, I follow;

1. Stoic philosophy
2. Zen Buddhist philosophy and meditation techniques
3. The belief that my anxiety is an outcome of poor self control
4. The importance of gratitude
5. When I am feeling energetic ---- Forcing my self to leave my comfort zone - I'm not great at this technique
6. The importance of aerobic exxercise
7. Mental stimulation - exert a logical force - I turn to crosswords these days/ or MOOC's
8. I'm a loner - so going out and meeting people is something I try every so often.
9. Partially because of ADD - I'm a task list nut, I have a ridiculously long task list for some of the most mundane things ever
10. Writing a diary every so often
11. My latest would be, an attempt at a gratitude diary

FYI - I refuse to shell out on therapy and medication on the principle that I don't really want to say I'm depressed, because .... well, sometimes I'm not.

Some negative consequences of anxiety and depression that I will owe up to.
1. Internet shopping
2. Not leaving my room for a day or two (i'm 29)
3. Being a bad friend/ partner/ family member ---- terribly unreliable.

Thanks for reading^^

Anne1221
11-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Your reason for not shelling out for therapy or medication really doesn't make sense. If you're depressed some of the time, then you need to get some help. That is not good to not leave your room for a day or two, and it's also not good to be a bad friend/partner/family member. And, depending on how much you spend, internet shopping can be addictive. I think if you could change these things, you would feel better.

cloudy black
11-26-2015, 07:35 AM
hello theodorewakefield as i read your post i am aware that you are totally in your head. the hardest journey to make in this life is from the head to the heart i know this as i am all into "finding as much information as i can and then i dont do anything with it lol! yes you do have something relevant to say don't let your.. ah, erm, now is a good time to introduce you to the gremlins!

when you have constant negative internal dialogue (o dear that sounds far too grown up but that's the way its coming out at the mo..) for instance if you have the thought "i don't have anything relevant to say" its ok to have that thought, but don't let it be a reality. don't have it run your life.just say ok i my gremlins which is what i call anything that is a negative thought or feeling

my challenge for you is to take time and chat to people on this forum and sure not everyone gets back to you when you imagine they should and i can see that this would be perfect environment for the gremlin of "i don't have anything relevant to say" to rear its head and this is a wonderful opportunity to face it down and say, "do you know what i aint gonna listen to ya baby!"

your world will become just that little bit more interesting. but try not slip into your comfort zone, at least not for long periods of time and yes we all have set backs and that's and we do better by keeping on getting back on the saddle. people will see that you are more open and that changes things...

NixonRulz
11-26-2015, 08:08 AM
Hi People,

Here for the first time posting, I have a history of mostly depression interspersed with a bit of anxiety to make it interesting. But I don't like to pigeon-hole myself, so I deny that I am anxious or depressive. I try to gather as much information as I can from forums like these, but don't really like to chip in because I don't think I have anything relevant to say.

But, I want to share techniques I have for anxiety, as I have tried a lot of self help techniques, bar turning to religion out right.

Off the top of my head, I follow;

1. Stoic philosophy
2. Zen Buddhist philosophy and meditation techniques
3. The belief that my anxiety is an outcome of poor self control
4. The importance of gratitude
5. When I am feeling energetic ---- Forcing my self to leave my comfort zone - I'm not great at this technique
6. The importance of aerobic exxercise
7. Mental stimulation - exert a logical force - I turn to crosswords these days/ or MOOC's
8. I'm a loner - so going out and meeting people is something I try every so often.
9. Partially because of ADD - I'm a task list nut, I have a ridiculously long task list for some of the most mundane things ever
10. Writing a diary every so often
11. My latest would be, an attempt at a gratitude diary

FYI - I refuse to shell out on therapy and medication on the principle that I don't really want to say I'm depressed, because .... well, sometimes I'm not.

Some negative consequences of anxiety and depression that I will owe up to.
1. Internet shopping
2. Not leaving my room for a day or two (i'm 29)
3. Being a bad friend/ partner/ family member ---- terribly unreliable.

Thanks for reading^^

I believe all the reading you are doing to "find" yourself and get better centered are fantastic and that will surely help

One thing I do not understand is the refusal to do therapy or medication. I understand you not wanting to believe or at least accept that you have any issues but would you have the same philosophy for let's say, high blood pressure diabetes, cancer etc...?

It took me years to own up to what I was dealing with For me it was all types of anxiety disorders. But I just accepted one day that anxiety was in me and by trying to make myself believe I was fine was never going to get me anywhere, and it didn't

getting past my anxiety issues was one of the proudest moments I have for myself Not only do I live a completely normal life, my life is even better than it was pre-anxiety since I now appreciate all the things I would have either avoided or barely made it through.

Understand and accept the conditions you have so you can kick their ass

cloudy black
11-26-2015, 08:47 AM
yes the i agree the theory is useful but its the practice bit... i was fine and had anxiety and depression. obtw
Foxed up
Insecure
Neurotic
Emotional