PDA

View Full Version : anxiety/panic attack relax techniques

asdf1234
09-14-2008, 07:25 PM
i am going to school tomorrow and expect anxiety/panic attacks to be on my mind 24/7 i am in a new school so nothing to take my mind off it and each class is a hour 40 minutes, what are some techniques to get my anxiety and panic attacks away, i dont think breathing techniques would work because when i have attacks i usually think of my breathing 24/7 and feel like i cant get in enough air, so taking deep breaths would i think only freak me out more because itll feel like i cant get in a good breath. what are some ways to make me feel comfortable and relaxed i also have extreme nausea at those times and breathing is sometimes hard and it feels like something is in my throat. i also fear that ill lose control of my body parts but i know im just over thinking that and it will never happen, any advice??

punkgod94
09-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey there. I didn't see your post until just now. How did classes go for you? As for advice, I forget what message I posted it in, but it was one of your other messages. I posted some advice in there that's applicable for your situation with school too. The advice on observing things.

Jay12345
09-15-2008, 04:21 PM
The only way to get rid of the anxiety in my opinion is to go to school, i know it seems a bit silly because you want some techniques, but actually going to school itself is a form of therapy known as exposure, I am so happy that your going to school, and you'll see the difference it makes!

In terms of relaxing techniques.... the best thing to do really is nothing.. you'll find that as soon as you start working hard and having fun with your mates, you'll forget about the negative automatic thoughts because your brain will be occupied, and drifting will be reduced..... If you start to undertake relaxation techniques such as breathing exercises, i believe that this will simply bring on the anxiety and panic more.. good luck my friend, and KEEP going to school, it's so important! :)

Bungle
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
hi there,

I know exactly what you mean! Taking a deep breath can sometimes freak you out more! Try not to focus on the breathing and lump in your throat.

Maybe some distraction techniques might help e.g. pinching your thumb and index finger together or counting how many people there are in the lecture theatre or repeating in your head 'I can handle this' over and over again (you being to believe it!).

Might be worth googling distraction techniques. Good luck

Robbed
09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree about so-called 'relaxation techniques'. At least for myself, they seem to be pretty useless. Cognitive strategies like distraction CERTAINLY have proven MUCH more helpful.

anna_0range
09-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I felt the same exact way when i was about to start college. I was so affraid of having an anxiety attack during class and having to run out and make a fool of myself.

Actually what i found was that when im in class paying a attention it gets my mind off of the anxiety because im focusing more on my studies. And in a wierd way having the anxiety has made me focus more in school. Somtimes i find it hard to consintrate because i have the same symptoms. Throat closing, nasuea all that. I have found an amazing technique to help me out.

I know you said you dont like breathing exercises but focuses a little more on taking your mind off of your anxiety and focusing your attention somewhere else.

This is what you do:

--Breath in as much as you can until your chest hurts and you cant take in anymore air.

--As your breathing in count how many secound you brought in air for. Lets say you inhailed for 7 seconds.

--Stick your toungue to the roof of your mouth

--Exhale, but when you exhale do it for 1 or 2 secounds longer than you inhaled. So if you inhaled for 7 secounds exhale for 8-10 secounds.

I know this sounds doubtfull but it seems to work for me, and most of the time i can catch my anxiety before it gets bad with this exercise.

-Anna.Orange.

kevinpanic
09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
i am going to school tomorrow and expect anxiety/panic attacks to be on my mind 24/7 i am in a new school so nothing to take my mind off it and each class is a hour 40 minutes, what are some techniques to get my anxiety and panic attacks away, i dont think breathing techniques would work because when i have attacks i usually think of my breathing 24/7 and feel like i cant get in enough air, so taking deep breaths would i think only freak me out more because itll feel like i cant get in a good breath. what are some ways to make me feel comfortable and relaxed i also have extreme nausea at those times and breathing is sometimes hard and it feels like something is in my throat. i also fear that ill lose control of my body parts but i know im just over thinking that and it will never happen, any advice??

1) panic attacks cant hurt you, if they could you would be dead by now.
2) breath in 3 seconds, breathe out 6. cup your hands over your mouth if you feel like you can't breathe.
3) try and identify irrational thoughts as just that - irrational.

Thats pretty much all I can offer...

punkgod94
09-18-2008, 03:09 PM
As a side note to my other post above, I have a pretty good avoidance of people (like most people with anxiety). I'm very anti-social so I found it most comfortable to sit in the aisle closest to the door and towards the back of the room. That way you don't stand out during class, but you can still make a quick getaway when class is done. And as ridiculous as it sounds, it's comforting to have your back to the wall. Of course you can't avoid interaction completely...group projects, teacher asking you questions, but that method helped reduce my fear a little bit. Other than that, don't think that you're any different than anyone else. If you're asked a question, try your best to answer. I've found that when you say "I don't know" the teacher will just probe you more, which made me more nervous as all the attention was on me. And make at least ONE or two friends that sit near you in class that you can borrow notes off of or ask questions to after class, see what homework you missed if you missed a class, etc.