PDA

View Full Version : Relaxtion/ Resting is impossible

Silmarwen18
11-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Has anyone ever got to the point where relaxing is just impossible? I went on holiday recently for a fortnight and every night I went to bed I had insane anxiety attacks about having to come home/go back to work.... Like to the point where I was having to get out of bed at 2 in the morning after having not slept all and find something to distract myself because lying there trying to sleep/having an anxiety attack was pure torture... I can't just think about nothing.... or do nothing... I can't lie on a beach in the sun without my mind reminding me of my problems... I just can't do ANYTHING that's in the slightest relaxing because I cant RELAX .... can anybody send help? >.< im going slightly insane here..... thanks <3

lolfeg123
11-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Do you see a psychologist ?
I feel the same way, especially during nighttime when everything is dark and quiet. Try mindfulness exercises to alleviate anxiety symptoms. You may feel light-headed at the start, but as you practise, you will notice consoling changes in your behaviour. This is my 3rd day practising the 4-7-8 breathing technique and I feel heaps better. Also, rather than getting up to avoid the anxiety attack, force it to come, observe it, and - finally - shake it off.
Good luck

MainerMikeBrown
11-17-2015, 02:23 PM
I used to deal with uncontrollable anxieties until getting on meds that calmed me down. But before I got on the right meds, I couldn't relax no matter what I did.

cloudy black
11-19-2015, 07:04 AM
hello Silmarwen18 yes i have this same problem i used to walk miles to get through my anxiety levels but i am no longer able to do this because i have had problems with my feet... for nearly 2 years now. and this has made relaxing impossible because walking used to drain some of the nervous energy off. i am ALWAYS doing something. when i go to bed i get a terrible sense of gloom. hopefully you can at least walk off some of your anxiety. i used to find walking a great help. take care :)

Nowuccas
11-19-2015, 08:50 AM
Hey Silmarwen18,

For the intrusive thoughts you could try employing the Technique For ReProgramming Negative Thoughts.

Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

Using the above, with determination and persistence, they will reduce in frequency, but will always recur from time to time, which is normal, and healthy.

Have you tried Progressive Muscle Relaxation, at http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html and EFT to combat your anxiety?

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via the searchbar at www.mercola.com "EFT" & "EFT therapists" or www.tapping.com (13 free videos), or www.eftuniverse.com or www.emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".

Professionally instructed is generally preferable. - There is a version for use in public places at http://eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I suffer from anxiety, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

Also view my post about insomnia, at http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/1.html

You could try Progressive Muscle Relaxation or EFT in bed, after lights out, and fall asleep that way, perhaps using something like valerian root beforehand, (from pharmacies) short term only.