PDA

View Full Version : My Anxiety Story and Diet Questions

Shadowjack
11-16-2015, 02:18 AM
Hello. About 2 months ago I had a major panic attack and it was my first and only panic attack thus far. I have ocd and am on Sertraline and Risperidone. Overall my mood is good and I am optimistic. I don't feel depressed and I'm not sure what triggers my anxiety other than my poor diet which I am in the process of changing. I would really like to know if there is anything I can do to speed up my recovery. I am aware that it could take a while but I want to make sure I'm taking all the neccesary steps to make it as smooth as possible. I have done some experimenting with different foods such as potato chips, soda pop, turkey, blueberries, camomile tea, etc. Over the past 3 days I ate a considerable amount of junk food because there wasn't much else available. I noticed my chest tightness was much worse than usual and I had a bit of a struggle. That's why I think that the stories are true that these foods are bad for anxiety. I'm glad I looked into it first to get a clear perspective.

My main problem now is that I often need snacks to get through the day but I have no idea what kind of snacks I can have to replace my usual intake of junk food. I am not a fan of vegetables but many other foods would be an option. I would love to hear what you all like to snack on, especially if you know of any sweet foods that won't trigger anxiety. I am unure if it's wise to just cut out mots of my sugar intake and stop drinking soda completely and suddenly. So that covers my questions and story, now I'd like to write a second part about my Brother.

He is schizo affective and has ocd as well, he had to change his meds at the doctor's request and he wound up going manic for the second time. He is now on new meds and after about 18 months of trying new meds he is happy with what he's taking. After about 1 month he will be completely off his old meds and solely on the ones that have actually helped. He was only manic for a few months but the last 15 months have been hell. He struggles to do the activities he used to enjoy and he still loves the idea of doing them but he experiences overwhelming anxiety which prevents him from being able to do them. His level of fitness is questionable but today he tried jogging and said he felt quite good afterwards but was still anxious, though he said it helped. I have been very patient with him and sometimes I try to encourage him to do things but he is very reluctant and seems stressed at the thought of it. I really wonder how long it will take him to fully recover and if there is anything we can do to make it go faster. I assume that after 1 more month his meds will be finalized and his anxiety will go down, especially with daily exercise and an improved diet. Do you think these 3 changes will get him back on his feet? This has honestly been a devastating past 18 months. We used to do things together all the time and have fun but now he doesn't do much.

Any and all advice is both welcome and appreciated! Thank you so much! ^_^

Nowuccas
11-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Hey Shadowjack,

One of my previous posts at http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?33579-Female-18-years-old-chest-pain!!-Heart-problem-!-! addressed panic and anxiety attacks in some detail.

Nuts, (preferably tree nuts, such as walnuts or almonds) together with fruit, or dried fruit like raisins and sultanas make a fairly healthy snack.

Adopt a diet with minimal sugars and / or highly processed grain products, with more non starchy vegetables, protein, some complex carbohydrates, such as legumes, (beans, peas, lentils and chickpeas) and brown rice, some sourdough rye bread or seed and nutloaf, and 2, or 3 pieces of fruit, as well as probiotic yoghurt; see http://www.google.com/search?q=mercola+probiotic&hl=en&gbv=2&oq=mercola%3B+&gs_l=heirloom-serp.1.5.0l10.600390.608268.0.613200.11.4.0.0.0.0. 1594.2683.5-2j8-1.3.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..8.3.2682.dGRp4lhiUH0

If you don't eat vegetables your body will be deficient in vitamins and minerals, and taking supplements is not an effective substitute for them, so I suggest that you try many types, and find some that you find acceptable.

The following is about quick and easy cooking for people who are depressed, but you may find it helpful:

The quick and easy way is to break off some florets of broccoli, and cut some chunks of butternut pumpkin/squash, or yam/sweet potato and boil in water with a little iodised, or sea salt; 2 mns to prepare; allow to boil for 1, or 2 mns, then cook from retained heat until the desired degree of cooking is attained. Simply add a can of beans, or peas for a reasonably nutritious meal.

You can improve its taste and texture by boiling butternut pumpkin/squash and broccoli florets until soft enough to mash with some olive, or coconut oil, and possibly peanut butter.

I am informed by Dr. Mercola at www.mercola.com that our digestive tract produces most of the serotonin (a very important neurotransmitter) in our bodies.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Risperidone (from www.drugs.com):

"Risperidone is a antipsychotic medicine. It works by changing the effects of chemicals in the brain. Risperidone is used to treat schizophrenia and symptoms of bipolar disorder (manic depression). It is also used in autistic children to treat symptoms of irritability. Risperidone may also be used for..."

If any of the following side effects occur while taking risperidone, check with your doctor immediately:

More common:

Aggressive behavior
agitation
anxiety

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know why you are being prescribed a powerful antipsychotic medication for OCD and panic attacks, and in your position I'd be seeking a second opinion, and get a referral to a clinical psychologist who practices Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, as it seems to me that you are not being taught any coping techniques.

Some follow, from a previous answer:

OCD is an anxiety spectrum disorder, and the obsessions and compulsions are a way of avoiding, or coping with it, so; treat the underlying anxiety effectively, replacing your habit with the EFT, below.

It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so pathetic/useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind. Having identified and labelled it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version. Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary.

Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Practice a relaxation method, daily, and when needed, such as: (free) http://www.drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html or http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/mindbody/a/Meditation.htm or http://www.wikihow.com/Meditate

Give the EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. Use the searchbar at http://www.mercola.com "EFT" & "EFT therapists" and/or see the 13 free videos at http://www.tapping.com - There is a version for use in public places, (if anyone asks, you can claim to have a headache, as you massage/lightly tap your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I sometimes suffer from obsessions/compulsions, I deeply and completely accept myself."

A free E course in CBT for anxiety is at: http://ecouch.anu.edu.au/welcome

Books: Coping With OCD: Practical Strategies for Living Well With Obsessive-compulsive Disorder by Bruce M., Ph.D. Hyman and Troy Dufrene, & Overcoming Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Client Manual: A Behavioral and Cognitive Protocol for the Treatment of OCD (Best Practices Series) by Gail Steketee, & Confronting the Bully of OCD: Winning Back Our Freedom One Day at a Time by Linda Maran, from your bookstore, or amazon.com.

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, more along such lines is at: http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/1.html and read page F, where this came from.

Shadowjack
11-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Thank you so much for the detailed reply! Yesterday I had 3 squares of 40% dark chocolate as my only for of sugar. I didn't drink any soda pop or eat potato chips, milk chocolate bars, etc. I also went for 2 good length walks. I realized I hadn't been getting much exercise since the attack and my diet has been poor. After all the adjustments yesterday I felt no anxiety throughout the day and only a little while sleeping. Today I had a bowl of oatmeal with a single teaspoon of brown sugar and some italian pasta called cacio e pepe, which is basically a small amount of butter, cracked black pepper, grana padano cheese and regular noodles. I feel very good again today although after the pasta I felt a distant feeling of anxiety, barely noticeable and it did not last. I read that spices can upset anxiety so perhaps that had something to do with it. Prior to my panic attack I did not have any issues with food or drink and could have anything I wanted. Right now I believe that it will only take a short amount of time to fully recover as long as I continue to exercise and keep my sugar and caffeine intake to a minimum.

I think I might start drinking green tea with triple sugar and triple cream and regularly have a small amount of dark chocolate. That would be my primary sugar intake, perhaps with the occasional dessert when I'm recovered. I looked into vegetables as you suggested and I think the one I find most acceptable is spinach, which also seems to have benefits for anxiety. So I will begin with just spinach and hopefully expand over time once I get used to that. I will also be eating strawberries, blueberries, oranges and bananas. My goto breakfasts will be either oatmeal with brown sugar, berries, and possibly honey, or, I will have full fat greek yogurt with granola and berries. For meat I will have mainly chicken and beef with turkey occasionally. I will likely continue to eat pasta as that has been a staple in my diet. I'm thinking about cheese, raisins, granola, nuts, yogurt and oatmeal for snacks (in addition to fruit). Lastly I will try peppermint tea and green tea. Hopefully all these changes will yield good health benefits and aid my recovery.

Any additional advice is appreciated!

The Intolerable Kid
11-18-2015, 06:48 AM
I have found that grape juice and tea are good replacements for drinking soda.