PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Jobs w/ Severe Anxiety

penney
11-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Hi all,

Last time I was here was a few months ago when I was dropping out of my "dream university" to go back to my old school (closer to home) due to severe anxiety attacks and suicidal thoughts.
I moved back in with my parents, and at first their expectations of me were strict. As time went on and they saw how hard I was trying to help around the house, they eased up a bit. Their main condition was that they wanted me to find a job before the new school semester starts in January.

So I found a job (Job A), started it, and then this past weekend I was interviewed for a better position (Job B) that will pay more and be a cleaner environment. In both job interviews for each place, I said I had complete open availability, under the impression that I would work at either place, not both.

After Job B wanted to hire me, my parents suddenly decided they want me working 40 hours a week and that I must keep both jobs and balance them. One parent said I have "no choice". At this point, I do not think I am capable of handling two demanding jobs at once (especially starting Thanksgiving/Black Friday week) as I am gradually trying to ease myself back into school and work. This also means I unintentionally lied on the Job B interview, and the store could easily let me go if they find out I was already working one week before at Job A.

I don't know what to do, and I just had one of the biggest breakdowns I've had in a while tonight. As of now, in a few hours I'll have to wake up to work at Job A and I just feel really screwed. Ideally I'd like to quit Job A and take Job B. However, parental expectations are making that difficult. I'm not sure what the consequences will be if I do so, but I know taking both jobs at once will be too much to handle.

Anne1221
11-15-2015, 07:55 AM
I think you should try your best to talk to your parents about how you can't handle BOTH jobs, and push for Job B, as long as they are giving you enough working hours.

snowberry
11-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Talk to your parents calmly and maturely. Tell them how it's not fair that they keep 'changing the rules' - one minute they want you to just find a job, now it's suddenly 'impossible' not to work two jobs at once.

Or...

Quit job A and just lie and say they let you go because...overstaffing?

Either way, even if you have to live under their roof, if you're 18 or over you still get to decide some things for yourself, as an adult. And how many jobs you work is one of those things. Sometimes you have to just risk your parents' wrath in order to be happy and healthy. If they threaten you, remind them that you did exactly what they asked - you got a job. I don't know what their 'consequences' will be, but if they threaten to kick you out just for having one job while going to school, they're clearly nuts and don't deserve your consideration.