PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first anxiety support group

Rob625
11-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Social anxiety has kept me from checking this anxiety support group out for 3 or 4 years. My wife is finally forcing me to go. And of course I want to stay home. Not only do I have social anxiety but I consider my self an introvert. I like staying home, isolating myself from the outside. But my wife is really on me to get out and make friends. She feels it's not good or normal. But for introverts it's completely ok and normal. Leaving in a hour wish me luck

Ponder
11-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Sounds like your wife needs help. Pointless going if your heart and soul is not in it. Personally, I enjoy my time alone. The thing about cancer is it thrives in the space of others; especially those that have all the answers for anyone other than themselves.

Tell your wife she needs to go to Extroverts Anonymous. A service that helps people to appreciate staying at home. ;)

It's obvious what your wife wants.
What do you want?

Good Luck? No such thing, with such groups - but if it helps and you find you like what you find ... then mores the power to you. If you find you still want to stay at home ... then mores the power to you.

Best Wishes with whatever you find.

Rob625
11-13-2015, 06:12 AM
Thanks ponder. I'm reading up on introversion. Hoping I can explain to her that I like staying home and it's normal for me and I'm not depressed. I get irritable when I have to go out and I don't want to. Meeting was great though. I'd go back. Great people who live with similar issues. We had plenty in common. Nice talking with others who understand. Rob

Ponder
11-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi Rob. I'm glad you had a positive experience. :) I too started doing a few groups about a year ago. It started off great, but then I ran into issues with the administration side of things. I have a personal mentor friend that comes to visit me in my home once a week. I am thinking about moving on from that program in the months ahead.

I just did a quick search and thought I would cut and paste two findings from Google:

1. "The terms introversion and extraversion were popularized by Carl Jung, although both the popular understanding and psychological usage differ from his original intent."

To me the above statement tells me not to get caught up in everything I read. I'm not quite sure of the original intent, but how we let ourselves be influenced plays largely into how we see ourselves. It's good to understand the different context that surround this or that concept. Just understand that to define is to confine. Always leave a door open when focusing so that ones perspective can always be adjusted.

2. "introverts are drained by social encounters and energized by solitary, often creative pursuits. Their disposition is frequently misconstrued as shyness, social phobia or even avoidant personality disorder, but many introverts socialize easily; they just strongly prefer not to."

WOW ... that one speaks volumes to me. I'm 46 I have to tell you, that age can change the labels that we often associate to ourselves. We change how we identify with ourselves and the things that surround us. There is actually nothings wrong with "being" whatever .. however problems do arise if we choose to see ourselves in this or that box.

I find the best way to "be" is being able to look in the box and see that nothing is in there. Once you can do that - it's only an issue for others whom are so quick to box themselves and others so quick. The Objective state often finds itself with the best view ... I am so more objective when more feeling myself and then my surroundings; not when I am living for another's point of view.My surroundings are very important to me.
Srry if that does not make sense. I'm just shooting the breeze on a topic that interests me as well.
I do a lot of self reflection. Thanks for posting - and this space. Much appreciated. :)

anpene
11-14-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm so glad you had a good time! Even when you're an introvert you should try to work with your social anxiety, because not wanting to leave as an introvert is your choice and not wanting to leave as someone suffering from social anxiety is the only choice.

Ponder
11-14-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm comming to see Social Anxiety more of a hangup spawn from the collective mentality than an intovert's decision' to "happily" stay at home.

Rob625
11-14-2015, 12:10 PM
I think I'm both. I want and like staying home. Going out I'm uncomfortable and want to go home when socializing will occur. I'm fine going to book store alone.

springwater
12-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Is there a site with a list of these groups by city/state?

MainerMikeBrown
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM
At times I like to stay in my house alone, and at other times I like to be out and about and be with other people.

philknightlife
01-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know of any groups in Melbourne Australia?

JenXO
01-11-2016, 09:11 PM
I am extremely introverted too but I wish I was not sometimes. My father is one so it is genes I inherited a lot of his genes good and bad. I am not shy or anything I just prefer being by myself. I just don't like big social interactions. I am just so damn socially awkward.

RoderickLariviere
02-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Many people are introverts and like to be alone. But if you want to increase social interactions then going to support groups and other gatherings will be great.

salvator here
02-02-2016, 01:08 AM
Is there a site with a list of these groups by city/state?I would also like to know, if somebody could post something, it could help. The last group I attended was about 8 years ago, and I thought it was helpful. It was something the outpatient was offering at the time for free and a nominal donation, but free for most.