PDA

View Full Version : I feel like there's no way out.

pinkpears333
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I feel really lonely at this point in my life right now. I moved into a new apartment with brand new people. Also, my boyfriend broke up with me about a month ago. Whenever I come to my apartment, no one is ever home. My roommates all have different schedules and these people are strangers. At school, I have friends but I don't consider them to be close ones. Most of closest friends live far away so it's hard to see them. I feel like there is nothing to look forward to since I feel so lonely. My surroundings seems so unfamiliar to me and I feel like I'm gonna lose it one day. Everything feels like a neverending nightmare. I hate life right now, I can never be in the moment. I'm not motivated, I'm not naseus, everything feels horrible. It's hard to focus and it's important for me to because it's my senior year of college. I don't want to throw it all away because of this feeling but it's so hard not to.

Robbed
09-14-2008, 04:37 AM
A VERY important thing to keep in mind here is that the reason why it feels like there is 'no way out' is the EXTREMELY slow nature of recovery from problems like depression and anxiety. You can go do things that will ultimately be helpful. But will take you a LONG time to feel ANY benefit In other words, there is NO overnight solution to these problems. Recovery is a cumulative process that takes a long time. So the best thing you can do is try to live your life as best as you can. You say you are acquainted with people you go to school with, but not too close. The best thing you can do here is try to become closer to them. Who knows what might happen? In any case, try doing some things with them. This would certainy help you with your feelings of loneliness. And it would help you to deal with your depression and/or anxiety. Just remember to keep in mind what I said about recovery. It may not make you feel too much better (if at all) when you go out with your new friends for the first few times. Or even for the first few weeks or months. This is just the way things are when it comes to recovery, and you need to accept this. But with time, you will feel better.

Oh, and don't forget about those setbacks. You know, those times when things seem to get worse after they have been getting better for a while. This is COMPLETELY normal, and it is VERY important that you DON'T despair. Setbacks do NOT mean a return to square one.

One more thing. If you feel that your depression/anxiety is jeopardizing your success in school, do not hesitate to possibly either take time off OR reduce your courseload. If you were brought up like SO many of us, you probably think that you MUST complete school ASAP, or you will be a failure in life (and just this thought can cause MUCH stress, and possibly depression/anxiety). That's not true. Taking a little longer to finish is VERY much preferable to blowing your courses because you decided to take on a full courseload while dealing with a depression/anxiety problem. And taking a little longer certainly does not amount to 'throwing it all away'. School will always be there. Just knowing these things can do MUCH to put your mind at ease.