PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Anxiety induced by drinking once a week

loz75
11-08-2015, 03:39 AM
Hi, hopefully someone will help me with some advice however I am under the care of a registered Doctor.
I am male, 40 years old.

I take 100mg sulpiride and 20mg citalopram every morning, I have done for many years and it's stable.
I take 4mg of diazepam before bed which I'd like to slowly reduce but I have to take as I experience a little anxiety before I sleep.

My concern is that I do enjoy alcohol once or maybe twice a week. I don't drink any other time and am not dependant.
On one of these occasions I may drink 5 or 6 beers over the course of an evening.
The next day is the worst, with me experiencing anxiety pretty much all day and I will have to 'dip' in to my 2mg diazpem packets
using up to about 14mg for the day to feel 'normal' again. It's frustrating as I run out sooner than I should and I'm back to the Dr. for
a new prescription. I do not abuse the sulpiride or citalopram, and i'm normally content and anxiety free each and every day.

I do enjoy the social drinkining and it's something i'd ideally not want to stop as I do not smoke, but any advice on why it happens
and how I can reduce the next days feelings would be helpful. Could the other meds I take be conflicting, I know it's not advisable to
drink on them. I am hoping to reduce and come off the sulpiride soon.

Thanks, in advance.

anzy
11-08-2015, 04:12 AM
Hi when taking meds depending the type you should avoid alcohol I think 6 beers is a lot , in life you make your path if you feel awful the next day then drink less & see how you feel, good luck

DrOnline
11-08-2015, 04:34 AM
I get bad anxiety the next day as well. Alcohol just isn't worth it for me, sounds like it's the same for you, and you should face that and make the sensible decision to stop.

MiST
11-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Alcohol will fuck you up faster than a spiked bat to the face!

dublinanxiety
11-08-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm in the same spot,I'm meds free though. I'd jump out of my sleep all night,heart bearing out of my chest,it's always worse at night. Sometimes the night after drinking I'd have to have a couple of drinks just to get me asleep! Anxiety hits you hard after alcohol,I even think there's something wrong with my heart posting this now even though it's all in my mind but the demons telling u there's something wrong

Nowuccas
11-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Alcohol depletes B group vitamins, magnesium, and omega 3 fatty acids, all of which may contribute to increased anxiety levels.

Take at least 4, and up to 9 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, (high in E.P.A.) or the recommended dose of a high quality of fish, or krill oil* daily, like Carlsons, or Melrose: (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or its FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it! Basically, if a vitamin supplement shows dl, which is the acronym for dextro-levo, it contains both isomers, and is therefore synthetic in origin. View: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=dextro-levo%3B+vitamins&btnG=Google+Search

Females may benefit by balancing the DHA, & EPA versions of Omega 3 in fish, or krill* oil with ALA flaxseed oil Omega 3, or at least one heaped tablespoonful of ground flaxseed, daily. Vegetarians: Google: "Omega 3; algae; supplies" and use with flaxseed. *Use the www.mercola.com SEARCHBAR. Most people in the USA get several times more omega 6 than omega 3, when a far healthier ratio would be closer to 1:1

Magnesium; see http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_abso rption.html

I also suggest a B50, or similar high strength B complex from a vitamin store.

You may want to check out the interactions of alcohol with those medications at drugs.com and / or http://mediguard.org

Nowuccas
11-09-2015, 05:40 AM
It seems that I have accidentally tried to edit a post, but ended up double posting, so I'll have to try something different, next time.

MiST
11-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Alcohol depletes B group vitamins, magnesium, and omega 3 fatty acids, all of which may contribute to increased anxiety levels.

Take at least 4, and up to 9 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, (high in E.P.A.) or the recommended dose of a high quality of fish, or krill oil* daily, like Carlsons, or Melrose: (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or its FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it! Basically, if a vitamin supplement shows dl, which is the acronym for dextro-levo, it contains both isomers, and is therefore synthetic in origin. View: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=dextro-levo%3B+vitamins&btnG=Google+Search

Females may benefit by balancing the DHA, & EPA versions of Omega 3 in fish, or krill* oil with ALA flaxseed oil Omega 3, or at least one heaped tablespoonful of ground flaxseed, daily. Vegetarians: Google: "Omega 3; algae; supplies" and use with flaxseed. *Use the www.mercola.com SEARCHBAR. Most people in the USA get several times more omega 6 than omega 3, when a far healthier ratio would be closer to 1:1

Magnesium; see http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_abso rption.html

I also suggest a B50, or similar high strength B complex from a vitamin store.

You may want to check out the interactions of alcohol with those medications at drugs.com and / or http://mediguard.org

Or you know, quit drinking..

loz75
11-10-2015, 06:11 AM
thank-you for the responses; some stating the obvious, some helpful.
i'm aware i could quit drinking altogether, however it's a release i enjoy once a week.
my question is perhaps 'why do i experience it' more than 'what can i do to stop it'
there's a reason i need diazepam after 5 drinks whereas most other people do not.
maybe tapering off the sulpiride now (which i've been on for 15 years) would be a good start,
and perhaps not to binge too much. eg have 3 or 4 beers.