PDA

View Full Version : should I move on to medication?

Ydrifter
09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Hello everyone. This is my first post and will try to make it short. :D
I have suffered for a long time with anxiety and phobias. They include:
fear of flying

fear of elevators (this is the most annoying when there aren't stairs)

fear of going blind

fear of talking in front of a class or even presenting projects (there are many embarrasing stories about me when it came to this)

fear of having a brain anarism

constant fear something bad will happen to my fiancee like getting in a car accident (he gets upset about this which sometimes ends in fighting)

The fears started when I was about 14 or 15. Every year It seems I get a new fear. Its truly a shame since I am only 19 and now am almost afraid of everything.I have also just started college and having problems with the social phobias. I am missing out on so much ,especially traveling which my parents do alot of. My fiancee also gets annoyd with my phobias.

I used to have frequent anxiety attacks ,but have learned to cope with them before they turn big. I have been to many pychologist and hypnotherapy sessions. They did improve with the lessning of the attacks and how to deal with them when they come on. Unfortunately they did not curb my fears at all. I am considering trying medicine ,but have no idea if this is a good idea. I also have no idea what medicine if any is out there for my condition.

Thank you guys in advance for the advice :)

Robbed
09-12-2008, 10:49 PM
The choice as to whether you want medication is one that only YOU can make. But let me ask you this: how are things going with your anxiety? Has you generally been slowly on the mend for the four years you have had anxiety disorder? Have things been much the same? Or are things getting worse? If you have generally been getting better (albeit slowly), I would say to DEFINITELY stay away from meds. Let nature heal you, and don't 'rock the boat' by starting medications that can potentially make things worse (and meds CAN do this). Also, how much have you done to deal with your anxiety and phobias? Have you actually tried to confront these issues? Or have you more or less just submitted to the fear, and hoped it would eventually just go away? These are all VERY important things to ask yourself. Because I just don't think meds are such a great idea if you have not exhausted your nonpharmaceutical options.

As for therapists, I know what you are talking about when you say that therapy was not very helpful. It has been my finding that the majority of therapists are about as useless as a wood stove on a 100 degree day. You might try to look around a little more for a better therapist. You might eventually find one, although it may take a while.

As for what kinds of medications are available, there are either benzodiazepines for immediate relief of acute anxiety, and antidepressants to generally lower anxiety levels. But while benzodiazepines DO work, they don't work long. And dependence can develop. Antidepressants are preferred by doctors, but they can cause dependence as well. And they tend to both have a less desirable side effect profile, as well as spottier efficacy. In other words, they generally don't work as well.

In any case, keep in mind that there is probably NO medication out there that is going to magically rid you completely of anxiety disorder. Medication may provide you with some relief, but possibly with side effects that you are not going to like.

Bungle
09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Have you tried rescue remedy when you're having a bad time? I find this is really helpful when I'm feeling anxious. It's natural andreally brings me down.

Bungle
09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Have you tried rescue remedy when you're having a bad time? I find this is really helpful when I'm feeling anxious. It's natural and really brings me down from a state of tension.