PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure what's changed.

Zoot
11-02-2015, 01:50 PM
I haven't posted in a while. I had significant anxiety issues earlier this year that got really out of hand in March/April/May. I began taking medication, which I'd never done before and it was not a quick fix, but I began to feel more in control and got to the point where I was feeling quite good, functioning well in my job, doing better on the home front too. I would not say that things have backslid to where they were at their worst, but I am having a lot more issues recently. I can't think of anything in my personal life that would account for those changes. Two possibilities that have occurred to me are:

1. Things started to get worse at about the same time that I refilled my prescription for escitalopram. I'm taking the generic, so I wonder whether the pharmacy got the pills from a different distributor. Is it possible that variability in the generic could cause a worsening of anxiety and depression? My doctor thought it was worth considering, anyway. She prescribed the brand name (Cipralex here in Canada), so I'm going to give that a try.

2. The days are getting much shorter. I really struggle to get out of bed in the morning and I'm in just a blah mood. But what I've read doesn't suggest that S.A.D. is associated with anxiety. Does anyone here have anxiety that worsens in the fall and winter. I live in Canada, so the seasonal changes in sunlight and weather are pretty pronounced. I might try getting a light-therapy box. My doctor recommended not buying a cheap one, because you need the full-spectrum of light that isn't always provided by the less expensive brands.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience that seems relevant, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I hope you're all doing well, though I know some of you aren't. In that case, I hope you are managing okay and that things turn a corner for you soon.

Kixxi
11-02-2015, 02:10 PM
I haven't posted in a while. I had significant anxiety issues earlier this year that got really out of hand in March/April/May. I began taking medication, which I'd never done before and it was not a quick fix, but I began to feel more in control and got to the point where I was feeling quite good, functioning well in my job, doing better on the home front too. I would not say that things have backslid to where they were at their worst, but I am having a lot more issues recently. I can't think of anything in my personal life that would account for those changes. Two possibilities that have occurred to me are:

1. Things started to get worse at about the same time that I refilled my prescription for escitalopram. I'm taking the generic, so I wonder whether the pharmacy got the pills from a different distributor. Is it possible that variability in the generic could cause a worsening of anxiety and depression? My doctor thought it was worth considering, anyway. She prescribed the brand name (Cipralex here in Canada), so I'm going to give that a try.

2. The days are getting much shorter. I really struggle to get out of bed in the morning and I'm in just a blah mood. But what I've read doesn't suggest that S.A.D. is associated with anxiety. Does anyone here have anxiety that worsens in the fall and winter. I live in Canada, so the seasonal changes in sunlight and weather are pretty pronounced. I might try getting a light-therapy box. My doctor recommended not buying a cheap one, because you need the full-spectrum of light that isn't always provided by the less expensive brands.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience that seems relevant, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I hope you're all doing well, though I know some of you aren't. In that case, I hope you are managing okay and that things turn a corner for you soon.

I was on Sertraline for seven years and got great results from it. Unfortunately, over time my anxiety became worse and the medication did not work as well any more. My doctor said that the underlying anxiety was getting worse and that the medication simply hid it for a long period of time. If the underlying anxiety is not treated, medication will eventually do less and less.

However, this is my personal experience. It could be totally different for you.

Zoot
11-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Have you been able to treat your underlying anxiety better?

I've been seeing a psychologist. I guess I'm just not sure how to know whether I'm actually treating the underlying anxiety and depression.

Kixxi
11-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Have you been able to treat your underlying anxiety better?

I've been seeing a psychologist. I guess I'm just not sure how to know whether I'm actually treating the underlying anxiety and depression.

Let's just say I been on the waiting list for treatment for 302 days now. On the bright side, I did get some treatment from a GP with extensive knowledge on the matter. I also got some helpful books to read. Realising that 90% of my thoughts are involuntary and subconscious made me feel less of a failure. It made me understand that I have to work on myself and I have booked some progress in confidence.

These are some of the things I have been able to do by myself and by understanding myself better. These are things that I've done in the past year (I've been suffering from severe agoraphobia since the age of 20, am now 28):
- Went in the post office by myself and dropped of some parcels.
- Went to the pharmacy by myself and spent about 15 minutes in there.
- Spent 7 hours on the full beach with people surrounding me left and right. Did not panic or run away. I did have extreme nausea, but understood it was because of these involuntary thoughts and my brain that has been programmed to think the worst ;)
- Went to a restaurant and had a three course meal with family.

Next on the list is a concert in Wembley arena. I must admit that I am terrified, but it isn't going to stop me.
At the end of the day, I can recommend sticking with treatment. Dealing with all the underlying issues you are struggling with.
I still have a very long way to go myself. My main issue is self-esteem (long story but comes down to the way I was raised).

I honestly believe, to take care of these involuntary thoughts we need to reprogram our brains. It will be hard along the way. But once you deal with things and stop giving anxiety power, it is so liberating. I've had some major breakthroughs, but also setbacks. They are all part of life. In the end, it can be conquered if we are willing to work for it and challenge ourselves every day.

Zoot
11-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Wow, thanks for the response and good for you! It's great that you've pushed yourself so much and have made progress. I guess that setbacks are to be expected. To be honest, the issues I'm having never went entirely away, though I've had good periods. I guess that after a stretch of feeling good, to have a stretch of feeling bad again is frustrating and also makes me worry that I'm going to backslide to where I was. I am likely throwing anxiety on top of anxiety and depression.

Kixxi
11-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Wow, thanks for the response and good for you! It's great that you've pushed yourself so much and have made progress. I guess that setbacks are to be expected. To be honest, the issues I'm having never went entirely away, though I've had good periods. I guess that after a stretch of feeling good, to have a stretch of feeling bad again is frustrating and also makes me worry that I'm going to backslide to where I was. I am likely throwing anxiety on top of anxiety and depression.

Exactly! I've had times where I could walk into a busy shopping street and not have any anxiety at all. A week later, I could not even manage walking outside my front door. It can be very difficult at times, but hang in there. At the end of the day, we've learned the wrong behaviour because of things that happened to us. It is not impossible to reverse it.