PDA

View Full Version : Nighttime Panic Attacks

Ckraft42
10-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Hi out there. Has anyone else experienced panic attacks when it's time for bed? I rarely have them in the daytime anymore, but when I get them it's always at night and they go on for hours and hours. Last night I got only 2 hours of sleep because every time I closed my eyes to doze off a new panic attack would surge through my body. It's gotten to where I have a fear on going to bed, and they even seem to break through my night time med, Alprazolam ER. Not sure what to do.

needtogetwell
10-19-2015, 05:51 PM
One suggestion if you don't already do it.

Find a guided relaxation app if you have a phone or tablet. You should find one that teaches you how to do diaphragmatic or yoga breathing. Listen and concentrate on the guided relaxation. If you are breathing right it is quite difficult to have that feeling of panic take hold of you.

Now you have created a loop about going to bed. You automatically think you will have a panic attack. Keep thinking that way and you will have one. Something to take your mind off those thoughts will help.

As frightening and debilitating as they are, recurring panic attacks start from your thought processes in 90% of people. Change the thought process and you change and are able to control the anxiety and panic. Some sessions of CBT would likely be of use to you.

Good luck
Cheers!

jessed03
10-22-2015, 05:12 PM
One suggestion if you don't already do it.

Find a guided relaxation app if you have a phone or tablet. You should find one that teaches you how to do diaphragmatic or yoga breathing. Listen and concentrate on the guided relaxation. If you are breathing right it is quite difficult to have that feeling of panic take hold of you.

Now you have created a loop about going to bed. You automatically think you will have a panic attack. Keep thinking that way and you will have one. Something to take your mind off those thoughts will help.

As frightening and debilitating as they are, recurring panic attacks start from your thought processes in 90% of people. Change the thought process and you change and are able to control the anxiety and panic. Some sessions of CBT would likely be of use to you.

Good luck
Cheers!

I second the relaxation idea 100%. It really can make such a big difference.