PDA

View Full Version : Can you rid yourself 100% of attacks?

bobafett22
10-16-2015, 03:34 AM
My panic attacks started about 2 years ago, when I overdosed on speed. I had terrible chest pains and went to the hospital, where the doctor told me my heart had probably spasmed. Following this I had chest tightness for a week. I went to do a couple of ECG's after this because I was very worried about my heart being damaged, but I was assured nothing was wrong with it. Still, I couldn't shake the fear I had over this, and there was constantly this very uncomfortable jittery feeling in my chest. I began having episodes where I was certain my heart would spasm, or even have a heart attack.

As you do, I googled it an infinite amount of times and that's how I learned of panic attacks. I concluded this was what I was having, and began self-medicating with benzos such as Valium and Rivotril. I also stopped drinking coffee, as it would trigger the attacks. When I took these pills I felt normal, good even. But as soon as they wore off the anxiety was there, and once, twice a day I would have attacks of chest pain and terror. After a couple of months of daily benzo medication the police came to my house with a search warrant and confiscated everything. The weeks that followed were awful, stopping the benzos made the attacks even more frequent and terrifying.

After this I moved to a new city. This helped alot and the attacks came more infrequently. Now I could get one or two weeks respite, with just mild anxiety everyday. A great year in my life passed and I moved again, to where I live now. I'm now at a point where I rarely get a full-on panic attack anymore. I still get anxious attacks but with breathing and relaxation exercises I stave them off. I've even started drinking one or two cups of weak coffee every day, and my goal is being able to drink black coffee without any adverse effects.

TL;DR
What I'm wondering is if it's a realistic goal to rid yourself completely of anxiety attacks? Before my incident over 2 years ago I was never aware of my beating heart unless I checked with my fingers. I would get nervous, sure, but never the anxious jitter in my chest. I want to go back to how I was then! Has any of you here been able to do this?

NixonRulz
10-16-2015, 05:54 AM
My panic attacks started about 2 years ago, when I overdosed on speed. I had terrible chest pains and went to the hospital, where the doctor told me my heart had probably spasmed. Following this I had chest tightness for a week. I went to do a couple of ECG's after this because I was very worried about my heart being damaged, but I was assured nothing was wrong with it. Still, I couldn't shake the fear I had over this, and there was constantly this very uncomfortable jittery feeling in my chest. I began having episodes where I was certain my heart would spasm, or even have a heart attack.

As you do, I googled it an infinite amount of times and that's how I learned of panic attacks. I concluded this was what I was having, and began self-medicating with benzos such as Valium and Rivotril. I also stopped drinking coffee, as it would trigger the attacks. When I took these pills I felt normal, good even. But as soon as they wore off the anxiety was there, and once, twice a day I would have attacks of chest pain and terror. After a couple of months of daily benzo medication the police came to my house with a search warrant and confiscated everything. The weeks that followed were awful, stopping the benzos made the attacks even more frequent and terrifying.

After this I moved to a new city. This helped alot and the attacks came more infrequently. Now I could get one or two weeks respite, with just mild anxiety everyday. A great year in my life passed and I moved again, to where I live now. I'm now at a point where I rarely get a full-on panic attack anymore. I still get anxious attacks but with breathing and relaxation exercises I stave them off. I've even started drinking one or two cups of weak coffee every day, and my goal is being able to drink black coffee without any adverse effects.

TL;DR
What I'm wondering is if it's a realistic goal to rid yourself completely of anxiety attacks? Before my incident over 2 years ago I was never aware of my beating heart unless I checked with my fingers. I would get nervous, sure, but never the anxious jitter in my chest. I want to go back to how I was then! Has any of you here been able to do this?

The question can you get rid of anxiety attacks has a realitive answer, I believe.

I consider myself not affected by anxiety and panic and have been that way for years but that doesn't mean they don't try and creep back in

I still can be working or laying down or watching television, etc..., when out of nowhere that surge of adrenaline comes and my breathing automatically goes shallow. It's at that point that we have to make a conscious decision.

You can add the fear to the equation so you feel bad and possibly go into full panic mode or you can dismiss it as "just my anxiety" and move on

I still get several potential opportunities a week to panic if I chose to go down a dark path. Panic attacks do not scare me. I have had enough of them to realize nothing harmful is or will happen. So it is an annoying 10 seconds versus a scary few hours or days.

People have differing opinions if anxiety and panic can be cured or it is managed. I have had a doctor tell me he isn't sure whether it is hereditary or a learned behavior but one thing he has seen in patients is it never really goes away

Initially managing anxiety its meds is a great way to calm your mind and body enough so you can work on retraining your brain to not react when those nasty feelings or physical symptoms come

Take the fear away and panic cannot be present. No such possibility of being calm and stressed at the same time