PDA

View Full Version : Had first panic attack on live TV

mmillerreport
10-15-2015, 02:44 PM
29-year-old male here. I'm an anchor and reporter for a local TV station. I've been doing this job for years with no problems. The first few times on the desk, I was nervous, but got through it to the point that I can do it perfectly now.

I have no history of anxiety or panic attacks. My father says he use to get them in his 20's.

Three weeks ago, I'm on the air, about two stories in, when it hit. I thought I was having a heart attack. Rapid heartbeat, throat closing up, trouble breathing, ears ringing. I started to cough and couldn't stop. Knowing I couldn't continue, I tossed to our weather guy and ran off the set. I was shaking and white in the face. I could barely talk.

My co-workers told me I likely had a panic attack. A panic attack? What for? I'm not panicking about anything. I'm not anxious. I've never had one before.

I went home and brushed it off as drinking too much the night before and not sleeping enough.

That week, I felt uneasy and a little anxious. Just this strange feeling in my guy, like I want to puke. I got through the newscasts, though it was difficult.

Then two weeks after the first incident, 3 minutes before airtime, I had another panic attack. I had to run off the set and grab another person to fill-in on the desk.

I went to the doctor, he gave me Valium. Not sure I like it and not sure it's working.

I went to my ENT thinking that my sleep apnea might be back. I have been feeling tired, sore in the chest, and out of breath, so I figured it was the lack of sleep. The ENT isn't sure.

He says it could be one of 4 things:

1) Acid reflux is causing this.
2) Could be the sleep apnea back.
3) Something is wrong with my heart.
4) This is all in my head.

I'm now taking Prilosec for the acid reflux. Trying to get a sleep study done. Planning to see a cardiologist.

What do you think is going on and what can I do in the mean time? This is crippling me from doing my job, going on the air.

NixonRulz
10-15-2015, 07:47 PM
29-year-old male here. I'm an anchor and reporter for a local TV station. I've been doing this job for years with no problems. The first few times on the desk, I was nervous, but got through it to the point that I can do it perfectly now.

I have no history of anxiety or panic attacks. My father says he use to get them in his 20's.

Three weeks ago, I'm on the air, about two stories in, when it hit. I thought I was having a heart attack. Rapid heartbeat, throat closing up, trouble breathing, ears ringing. I started to cough and couldn't stop. Knowing I couldn't continue, I tossed to our weather guy and ran off the set. I was shaking and white in the face. I could barely talk.

My co-workers told me I likely had a panic attack. A panic attack? What for? I'm not panicking about anything. I'm not anxious. I've never had one before.

I went home and brushed it off as drinking too much the night before and not sleeping enough.

That week, I felt uneasy and a little anxious. Just this strange feeling in my guy, like I want to puke. I got through the newscasts, though it was difficult.

Then two weeks after the first incident, 3 minutes before airtime, I had another panic attack. I had to run off the set and grab another person to fill-in on the desk.

I went to the doctor, he gave me Valium. Not sure I like it and not sure it's working.

I went to my ENT thinking that my sleep apnea might be back. I have been feeling tired, sore in the chest, and out of breath, so I figured it was the lack of sleep. The ENT isn't sure.

He says it could be one of 4 things:

1) Acid reflux is causing this.
2) Could be the sleep apnea back.
3) Something is wrong with my heart.
4) This is all in my head.

I'm now taking Prilosec for the acid reflux. Trying to get a sleep study done. Planning to see a cardiologist.

What do you think is going on and what can I do in the mean time? This is crippling me from doing my job, going on the air.

I choose number 4. All in your head

Not that it doesn't seem real since I know damn sure it does

Best thing to do when experiencing panic attacks is to breathe correctly. When you get that rush of fight or flight, the first thing that happens is you begin to breathe much shallower than normal. Your brain is sending oxygen to your limbs so you can run or fight. Breathe normally with your stomach rising and falling to signal your brain that you are not in danger.

Anxiety coach.com. Good place to help you understand the process

timjpcollins
10-16-2015, 09:40 AM
Hey there - I had my first panic attack while standing at the front of the room. Just starting to give a presentation! So I know how you feel.

You can read more about my story here: http://www.timjpcollins.com/mystory/

I'm now an anxiety coach so would certainly be happy to help you overcome this and move past it. Let me know if you'd like to chat.

Best
Tim

BrookeLynnnn
10-19-2015, 09:41 PM
You should check out the book 10% happier!! It's about a news anchor who also had his first attack on live tv & how he overcame it. You can look up his video on YouTube also! Good luck :) anxious is no fun but there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Anne1221
10-20-2015, 08:54 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing as BrookeLynnn. The anchor was Dan Harris of ABC News. Exact same thing happened to him.
Start reading his book now!! You need to approach from both angles. Get a good physician to address all the physical symptoms and then get some help from a psychologist/psychiatrist. You may have to change your lifestyle. Not too much drinking, activities to reduce stress, get enough sleep, etc.

Anne1221
10-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Acid reflux, sleep apnea and heart troubles would not cause a panic attack, which is exactly what you described. The fact that your father had them in his 20's is a sign there's a genetic tendency to have them. Dan Harris learned that his lifestyle contributed greatly to his panic attacks.