PDA

View Full Version : Looking to be a support system... I need advice.

andreweramos
10-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Ok so I was with an amazing girl for the past 10 months and she has always been open with me that she has severe anxiety. I tried to help her when I felt she needed me and let her know that I don't care about her anxiety and everyone has their own little quirks. Recently she broke up with me because of a few issues that needed work from both of us (which she is absolutely correct about) and as well as not being able to see or feel when her anxiety was affecting her. I feel that her anxiety had really been affecting her throughout our relationship and I just didn't understand what it felt like for her. Instead of going online and doing research about anxiety I relied on her to tell me what she is feeling which I now know that it is almost impossible for her and others dealing with anxiety to describe. After doing my homework and trying to get an understanding of what she is going through I realized that one of the most important things for her is to know that she has someone to support her. She knows and feels that I am a very supportive person but with this issue I feel like she is very closed off as I didn't at all comprehend the complexity of anxiety therefore she didn't open up to me and suppressed them until they exploded and I believe resulting in our break-up. She does have a few family members that live in the area (Dad, Grandma, Brother). Her dad wasn't a big part of her life growing up as her parents got divorced when she was 4. Her grandmother is a huge influence on her but doesn't have the means to comprehend what she is going through and her brother isn't always around and can be unaware of her feelings or needs. Does anyone have experience in this? Did you break up with your partner because of anxiety? Can I be her support system? Do you see us getting back together? We still text daily and are on decent terms. I care a great deal for her and I know she has feelings for me as well.

Thanks in advance to hearing me out and hopefully dropping a comment for me!

Davit
10-14-2015, 03:17 PM
First avoid things like saying "I know how you feel" and "you can do it". Anxiety causes fatigue. Help her but don't push if she refuses. Be prepared to share time with her demons. If she broke up it is more likely she feels not good enough. Convince her she is. She may be your sunshine but remember the sun takes a break too. She may need alone time.
I wish you two the best.