PDA

View Full Version : (Anxiety Throat Lump) How do I eat food faster?

aiwa
10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
I think it's an anxiety throat lump. Just to be sure I had a barium swallow test, and the result was Normal. But I don't have much anxiety now, school's started and I'm with my friends and I have good marks. So why do I have trouble swallowing? I eat slower than others, and slower than I used to before? Could this be, instead of a physical problem, some mental problem like the fact that I THINK I can't eat fast enough and so I just eat slowly? How do I begin eating faster if that's the case?

silver lining
11-27-2016, 08:07 AM
I'm having a similar problem, i even have trouble swallowing my own saliva.. the trick is to overcome the fear of choking. It's a mental thing not a physical thing. I had the barium test, CT scan, MRI of brain, blood test, neurological exam... everything seemed normal (physically). Just remember my friend: we are mind, body and spirit. Take care of each one equally and you will be fine. It will not go away until you take care of all three, I'm telling you.

fixmybrokenmind
11-27-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry to sound negative here but why do you need to eat faster? Eating food you like is a quick way to eat faster ;)

silver lining
11-27-2016, 12:31 PM
If you haven't had this problem yourself you wouldn't understand. With this feeling of choking, you can't eat fast.. you have to slow it way down and eat very deliberate and carefully. That's what Aiwa means.. I know because that's my life right now.

adkellstrom
09-20-2017, 05:48 PM
this is an awful feeling that I get some nights while eating my food as well. You have to basically make sure that your food is baby food consistency before you can swallow. Its a mind over matter thing you just have to say Im not dying or choking because i can breathe. I found that as messed up as this sounds is to freak yourself out and it goes away it might sounds strange but someone told me to tell my body let me freak out so the hot doctors can come save me. Its hard at first but it at least worked for me. hope this helps you.