PDA

View Full Version : Upset & Venting

kallie915
10-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

This past weekend I was attending a school event, in which I had to speak in front of a room of people. I started breaking down halfway through, messing up my speech, and running out of the room as soon as it was over. It was a very difficult situation for me. I was very, very upset about it. I presented this speech with a partner of mine whom I've known for almost three years now. For as long as I remember he has made off hand comments about my anxiety and sometimes even used it as material for jokes. I've always been able to brush them off, ignore them and forget them. Recently, he has been experiencing some panic attacks himself. He's talked to me about ways to cope, what I do to ease my attacks and so on and so forth. I've helped him to my best ability. Trying to help understand. But this weekend, after I messed up the speech he made some comments that have me really upset for the last few days. He told me that he doesn't understand why I have anxiety, especially with my family as a support system. That I should have been able to get over it by now. He then proceeded to tell me that he's been through much worse things in his life and that his anxiety is justified and mine isn't because of my "support system." I was so shocked that at first I didn't say anything. Then the only thing I could get out of my mouth was "You don't know anything about me or my life." Which is true. He doesn't. I feel angry and hurt at the same time. I don't know if I'm overreacting, if I'm right to feel this way. I feel like for me, personally I would never say that to anybody. Still, I'm not sure what I should do. Or what I should think. Or anything about anything.

Just needed someone to hear me.