PDA

View Full Version : Attn Everyone: Chamomile

Matt_H
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
If you suffer from anxiety then I HIGHLY recommend trying Chamomile tea if you haven't already. To me, it works just as effectively as xanax. It's also very useful if you have insomnia. It's 100% natural.

You can buy Chamomile tea in virtually any supermarket. Some brands market it under different names. For instance, Celestial Seasonings markets it as "Sleepytime" tea. It's a blend of Chamomile and spearmint (and some other stuff). It tastes pretty good, and its extremely relaxing.

Defiantly a great alternative to those who prefer not to take medication, or as a supplement to those who do. This stuff can produce some powerful sedative effects if you add a couple of extra teabags, or drink a few cups. Though it doesn't directly interact with drugs like Xanax (as far as I know), combining the two defiantly produces a synergistic effect.

Aaron
09-16-2008, 06:55 PM
To spread a word of caution, chamomile interacts with a number of other drugs, including a host of SSRIs, so be sure to do deep research on drug interactions before taking on this treatment option. For example, I know that chamomile blocks metabolism on a particular cytosome(sp?) that just so happens to be one of the active cytosomes that metabolize Trazodone. The end result of chamomile treatment + trazodone could lead to blood toxicity and possibly death, depending on what dose of trazodone you're on and how much chamomile you're taking.

Granted, if I weren't on Trazodone, I'd definitely be up for the chamomile treatment! Anyone who's not already on blood thinners or certain SSRIs could likely benefit from the plant. :)

stillhopeful
03-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Does chammomile work okay with Lexapro? I do drink chammomile tea as I have pretty much given up caffeine. Does anybody know if this is okay? :o

ebony
03-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I definitely wouldn't put it up there with xanax.
I quit coffee and drink decaf (1 cup) and 2 cups of chamomile tea.
I notice the difference in less cafeine, but not the tea.
I read Kava was good also.
Anyone try that?

intentus18
04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
I love chamomile...its great but i completely cut out caffeine out of my diet...no soda, no coffee, no chocolate :-( ....ok a little...like 1 oz every other week, and I drink a lot of water. That helped significantly.

chrisz
04-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I definitely wouldn't put it up there with xanax.
I quit coffee and drink decaf (1 cup) and 2 cups of chamomile tea.
I notice the difference in less cafeine, but not the tea.
I read Kava was good also.
Anyone try that?

Ebony,

I have tried Kava and it helps. Its not as potent as Benzos, but it does help. Some have worried about the possible Liver damage. I discussed this with my Pdoc and he said that's because many people over-did it.

Chrisz

Jemma8286
01-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Funnily enough, I tried chamomile tea for the first time tonight with a bit of honey. I currently take 60mg duloxetine (cymbalta). I am just wondering if chamomile would react with duloxetine? I felt a bit strange after I drank it but to be fair I was a bit paranoid about drinking it because my subconscious stupid pathetic mind was telling me that it would harm me . Grr.

NixonRulz
01-01-2015, 06:17 PM
I am drinking the same as I type. Some dude here from the OK turned me onto it will teaching me to say "whilst". "straight away" among other things

Now I drink it every night

No reaction. That tea really cools you out. Very calning

No worries. Make another cup!:D

kiingloui3
01-06-2015, 05:36 AM
i react a bit odd to chamomile tea i get this surge of relaxation the surges of anxiety on and off like ill be relaxing then all of sudden ill jump lol
also try seven blossom tea can be purchased on amazon or any local walmart depending where you live
Ingredients: Orange (Citrus aurantium), roses (rosas spp.), Linden Flowers (Tila spp.), Mexican elder (sambucus Mexicana), Chamomile (Matricaria Chamomilla), Rosemary(Rosemarinus officinalis), lemon balm (Melissa officinalis
* i am from texas so its pretty easy to get not sure if it varies from state to state

Kuma
01-07-2015, 07:47 PM
I find passionflower tea to be more effective than chamomile tea. Passionflower is also a bit harder to find, but readily available online. Of course, different people will feel the effects differently, so for some chamomile may be more effective.

I don't think any of this stuff is as effective as Xanax. BUT it also does not have some of the problems that Xanax can have (availability, need for a prescription, dependence, withdrawal symptoms, etc.). So it is a matter of balancing benefits and downsides....

*I am not a medical professional and nothing I write is medical advice*