PDA

View Full Version : How can i convince myself i am not having a heart attack during anxiety/panic attacks

eddiegadpd
10-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Hello everyone, i hope everyone is doing well and thank you for taking the time to read this.

It is almost my not so happy 3rd month anniversary with anxiety (GAD) and panic attacks.

I have been talking to my psychologist and she brought up the term "health anxiety". I think i have that too.

Long story short, i was born with heart problems. I have seen a cardiologist all my life. I am 19 years old.

Ever since being diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks my days have felt so long and stressful.

Everything that my body feels or at least i think it feels causes me to have more anxiety and panic attacks. I think i am dying all the time.

And when i am having anxiety or panic attacks out of the blue i think about how the symptoms are similar to a heart attack and because of my heart condition (aortic stenosis) i think it could be that too!!! UGH I am so exhausted of all this fear every single day. I really need help.

Is there anything i can tell myself to convince me that i am not dying or having a heart attack or something? Like i know someone once told me that if i was having a heart attack i wouldn't be having fast palpitations, don't know if that's true but i need things like that to convince myself. Do you guys know any other ones?

I have been to the ER so many times and even though they tell me my heart is fine, that i am fine it is just not enough for me.

As soon as i feel back pain or chest pain and left arm pain i just wanna call 911.

Can you guys please help me? What would i not be able to do if i was dying or having a heart attack? What can i physically do to prove to myself that i am just having an anxiety attack or panic attack when they occur? Please help me. Thanks everyone!

unknownme
10-04-2015, 03:10 AM
You may need to go to The doctor and ask those questions, they may know some difference what "regular" people don't.
I know it's super hard but focus on The breathing and tell yourself you're not having a heart attack, even if you don't believe it. Fake it until you make it.
I'll ask my friend who's in medical school about it, maybe she can help

Davit
10-04-2015, 07:08 PM
If you are focusing on health rather than anxiety it is HA, And that won't fix anything. Focus on the anxiety or it will stick around. Accept it is anxiety and there is no room for health. Then do coping skills for the anxiety. Make the anxiety go away and the health thoughts go to because they are combined. You can try to believe it is not your heart, but that is what anxiety wants to offer you. If you know deep down it is anxiety, it can not be any thing else if you have been given an okay on your heart.