PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety is sabotaging my driving exams

unknownme
10-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm really the one sabotaging them. I took my 2nd driving exam yesterday, which I failed again. This was in less than a month. I usually deal with anxiety well enough to reach my goals but this is really getting the best of me and taking away the fun of driving. Tried my best to be calm but started to freak out when the other student was doing his exam (and almost got into an accident). I forgot how to do an easy manouver and then messed up bad from there.

(I'm not really sure how anxious am I or what kind(s) of anxiety, I've been trying to avoid it my whole life and just ignoring it & blocking it, started to pay attention to it 2 years ago +-).

I'm now taking a bit more time to figure out how to keep my sh*t together. Any tips? (no drugs or pills, please. just natural stuff)

penney
10-05-2015, 06:04 AM
When I took my driving exam, I wasn't dealing with as much anxiety that I have now, but I do have some tips that helped me stay calm during my driver's test.

I'm not sure how the test works exactly where you are (do they test multiple students in a ride?). I scheduled my exam for the earliest morning appointment to do it, and made sure to get up even earlier to practice parking with cones at a nearby parking lot. Seeing myself able to do the maneuvers that morning then helped me relax that day. That, and I've heard those administering the exam can be more patient in the morning.
Good luck with your next exam! You can do it!

Davit
10-05-2015, 01:21 PM
I have a friend doing EFT for driving, she has trouble driving her husbands big truck. Her Therapist teaches it.

Emotional freedom technique. EFT. Tapping.

unknownme
10-05-2015, 01:50 PM
When I took my driving exam, I wasn't dealing with as much anxiety that I have now, but I do have some tips that helped me stay calm during my driver's test.

I'm not sure how the test works exactly where you are (do they test multiple students in a ride?). I scheduled my exam for the earliest morning appointment to do it, and made sure to get up even earlier to practice parking with cones at a nearby parking lot. Seeing myself able to do the maneuvers that morning then helped me relax that day. That, and I've heard those administering the exam can be more patient in the morning.
Good luck with your next exam! You can do it!

Yes, we have 2 students in the car, plus our teacher and a random examiner from the center of exams. I did have a class just before, both students did but it didn't go great. Both my examiners were more forgiving than they're supposed to, though the 2nd one was really kinda b*tchy about our mistakes. The student that did the exam before I did did almost cause an accident on a traffic circle and a bunch of other stuff but it was his 4th exam. And it was in the morning. I did both exams trying to reward myself with going to my boyfriend's hometown and tattoos but maybe I should do things differently, as this is not working.

Of course I'm nervous when I'm driving but since school I always get a way to get a worse grade in my presentations, exams, wtv than my knowlegde is because I alway feel like I'm not up to the task. But this whole thing is just turning into a spiral of anxiety. For now I'll stop driving for a while, I did both exams in less than a month and I feel like it was more harmful than good.

(my intership is slowly moving so there's a reason for less demotivation. I'll try to focus on the good stuff going on)

Thank you Penney!

unknownme
10-05-2015, 01:54 PM
I have a friend doing EFT for driving, she has trouble driving her husbands big truck. Her Therapist teaches it.

Emotional freedom technique. EFT. Tapping.

I'll check it out for sure. I'm at a point where it doesn't hurt to try anything lol. I seem to go okay and then I just get a blank on the exam, though I know how to drive.

Thank you Davit :)

Davit
10-05-2015, 03:27 PM
It does sound emotional, Juanita's husband laughed when she braked too hard and she lost it and couldn't drive any more, it was his truck, and she doesn't like it. Up to that point she was okay. She can drive her car okay though.
Careful you don't use association and replay the first failure. Or anyone else's. Presume nothing, each try is a new try.

unknownme
10-05-2015, 03:57 PM
I already did the association from my 1st exam to The 2nd. Of course it didn't go well and if I keep at this it will only get worse.
That's why I'm pausing and taking a bit of time to find how I can stop doing this to myself.

Any of you tried Valerian root?

laura1989
11-26-2015, 04:30 PM
hello there,

i completely remember feeling this way when i was doing my driving exams. i was at a point where i pretty much resigned myself to never being able to drive, because my anxiety interfered so much with my ability to do my driving test well. i failed 3 times before i finally passed. after the third attempt, all i could do was really spend a lot more time practicing and becoming a more confident driver. i took some extra lessons and although i felt silly and like a failure, i think the only thing that really helped me overcome the test day anxiety was feeling confident and able enough at driving. i also booked my test at a different center - i viewed that as a fresh start after having failed at one center so many times. i was still super nervous but got my license, even after feeling like i would never be able to! i've heard of a natural product called bach's rescue remedy that's supposed to be very helpful but i can't say i've tried it personally. you could look into that :) good luck!