PDA

View Full Version : Hadron collider has me terrified, help!

Tae
09-09-2008, 03:41 PM
IM so scared right now, tommorow they will turn it on and some say it will be the end of the world while others say nothing bad will happen and
some just ignore the warnings...im just so scared that when they turn it on poof everything is gone, everything we worked for im only 18 im not
ready yet. please can anyone help calm me down the logical side of me knows nothing will happen, i mean they KNOW of this and obviously its been talked about before and even steven hawking said nothing bad will happen i guess it just trigged a mini panic attack just knowing everything could just end in a minute tommorow =\

please help!

northstar
09-09-2008, 03:59 PM
hi tae, i have no doubt that you're not alone in these worries. i've been thinking about it a lot too, and must admit my first reaction was a worried one. but then i figured that these are the top guys in the WORLD working on this thing, and if the brightest brains and most knowledgeable guys on the planet say that this is a safe experiment then i trust them :)

motif
09-09-2008, 04:34 PM
guys, get real...

write the will and relax :mrgreen:

p.s.
seriously though learn some physics first ;)

Jay12345
09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey there..

Please don't worry.. everything is going to be fine, we aren't going to die,

This was from the guardian yesterday...
Be a bit of a pain if it did, wouldn't it? And the most frustrating thing is that we won't know for sure either way until the European laboratory for particle physics (Cern) in Geneva switches on its Large Hadron Collider the day after tomorrow.

If you think it's unlikely that we will all be sucked into a giant black hole that will swallow the world, as German chemistry professor Otto Rössler of the University of Tübingen posits, and so carry on with your life as normal, only to find out that it's true, you'll be a bit miffed, won't you?

If, on the other hand, you disagree with theoretical physicist Prof Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith of the UK Atomic Energy Agency, who argues that fears of possible global self-ingestion have been exaggerated, and decide to live the next two days as if they were your last, and then nothing whatsoever happens, you'd feel a bit of a fool too.

Rössler apparently thinks it "quite plausible" that the "mini black holes" the Cern atom-smasher creates "will survive and grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside". So convinced is he that he has lodged an EU court lawsuit alleging that the project violates the right to life guaranteed under the European Convention of Human Rights.

Prof Llewellyn Smith, however, has assured Radio 4's Today programme that the LHC - designed to help solve fundamental questions about the structure of matter and, hopefully, arrive at a "theory of everything" - is completely safe and will not be doing anything that has not happened "100,000 times over" in nature since the earth has existed. "The chances of us producing a black hole are minuscule," he said, "and even if we do, it can't swallow up the earth.
" So, folks, who do you believe?

elgrande
09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
They switched it on today so don't worry as your still here lol

P.S They won't start colliding protons for another few weeks....

motif
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
it sucked me in! help :mrgreen:

motif
09-10-2008, 07:31 PM
here is live webcam from the collider:
click to rest and watch for a moment....

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

:shock:

Murakawa
09-11-2008, 02:56 AM
So where's this black hole that was meant to suck me off?? :(

Robbed
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Speaking of black holes, here is something to consider. A typical black hole is what it is because it has a HUGE mass (on the order of a star, or more) that is concentrated in a VERY small space. This creates HUGE gravitational fields that suck in everything within its event horizon. Sound scary? Perhaps. But keep in mind that there is a little something called conservation of mass. In order to make a black hole, you have to somehow bring ALOT of mass together. And this collider does NOT have some mysterious pipeline to another star in order to bring in enough mass to even come close to making a real black hole. All that we have here on Earth is, of course, the mass of the Earth itself. And that's not really enough. So any 'black holes' that this collider generates are just going to be too small to do anything: they would be black holes in terms o density alone, but not in terms of mass or, therefore, gravitational field.