PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalization being brought on by cold?

MikeG
10-01-2015, 08:26 AM
I have been suffering from pretty bad anxiety on and off for the past few months. I wont bore you with the finer details as I have in previous threads but pretty much all the standard symptoms- sinus pressure, panic, headache, depersonalization, dizzy off balance feeling, detached, foggy, spaced out etc etc.

For the past few weeks I have been pretty good, pretty much the only time I would get anxiety would be on Sundays after a weekend of drinking which I have been able to deal with pretty well now I know what is causing it.

This week I have been suffering with a cold and my anxiety seems to have come back and I have constantly been feeling depersonalization and a detached feeling from my mind and body as well as head pressure etc. A few weeks ago I had a brain MRI and it was fine, so that set my mind at rest and the anxiety symptoms have progressively got better, but this week I've felt pretty rough.

Could a cold worsen or bring on anxiety symptoms? I know a hangover can make it worse, and I have felt hungover every day this week because of the cold :-(

ZigZiglar
10-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Anxiety excites the Sympathetic Nervous System, which prepares the body chemically for "fight or flight" mode. The Parasympathetic Nervous System brings the body back into a restorative state of calm where it is chemically ideal for digestion and healing. If you are chronically over-activating the SNS, over time the chain reaction can result in chronic inflammation and immune system problems. Inflammation in the brain can reduce synapse (the passing of messages between cells) efficiency, which can result in chemical imbalances due to inaccurate message reception. This then perpetuals the cycle. Unlike the Parasympathetic system, which once deactivated, quickly leaves the body, the legacy of the SNS sticks around in a cumulative effect. All this imbalance can also put strain on the other systems and organs affected, like the liver.

I think a great supplement to add to a good modern diet is Milk Thistle Extract. It helps the liver by purifying toxins found in our meds and food supplies. You may find that helps you feel a bit more energetic.

If you haven't yet heard of or practiced a breathing relaxation technique, I recommend a simple one called 7-11. 7 seconds on the in breath, a slight hold/pause, then a slow 11 seconds out breath. I don't confine myself to those numbers if I feel short on breath. Just make the out longer than the in. Try to focus on the air passing the tips of your nostrils to engage your sense of smell and be mindful of what you are perceiving. This is a form of mindfulness that helps engage the PSNS.

Cheers

Davit
10-01-2015, 08:27 PM
To put it in simple terms any thing the brain finds foreign to the body can cause anxiety. Even things that once were pleasurable.

Nowuccas
10-02-2015, 12:01 AM
Heavy consumption of alcohol depletes B group vitamins, which may be exacerbating your anxiety. It also depletes magnesium, and up to 80% of Americans are deficient in that vitally important mineral. Magnesium citrate, magnesium malate, threonate, or chloride are good sources, but avoid magnesium stearate, hydroxide, or oxide.

"Some early signs of a potential lack of magnesium in your body include...

Loss of appetite and headache
Nausea and vomiting
Fatigue and weakness"

I suggest that you view vitamindwiki.com/Handout+on+Vitamin+D+%28Hormone+D%29+and+sleep+-+Gominak+2012 by neurologist Dr. Sasha Gominak, because it explains how an insufficiency of vitamin D* can cause secondary deficiencies of B group vitamins, either, or both of which can cause anxiety, that is a common cause of depersonalization.

Depersonalization/derealization:

Regard DP/DR as being purely temporary.

Advice from therapists, and sufferers: When affected, run your hands under cold water for several minutes. Adapt the following to your situation: Look around and find 5 colours; feel 4 different textures; smell 3 different odours, and taste 2 different things. Focus on your hands for several minutes, multiple times daily. Try snapping a rubber band on your wrist, lightly, at first, then increasingly harder; remove afterwards, and pocket.

Give the EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via the searchbar at mercola.com "EFT" & "EFT therapists" or tapping.com (13 free videos). Professional is best. - There is a version for use in public places, (if you want to, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage/tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: [repeating to yourself in your mind] ) "Even though I sometimes suffer from depersonalization/derealization, I deeply and completely accept myself". Use the PMR, at drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html

RECOMMENDED READING:
Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder: A Mindfulness & Acceptance Guide to Conquering Feelings of Numbness & Unreality by Fugen A. Neziroglu, & Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self, by Daphne Simeon and Jeffrey Abugel, and Depersonalization: A New Look at a Neglected Syndrome, and The Stranger In The Mirror by Marlene Steinberg and Maxine Schnall, and Depersonalization Disorder Medical Guide by Qontro Medical Guides, and The Haunted Self: Structural Dissociation and the Treatment of Chronic Traumatization (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology) by Onno van der Hart, Ellert R. S. Nijenhuis, and Kathy Steele, from your bookstore, or amazon.com

Try dpselfhelp.com/forum and ask what worked for them, such as: dpselfhelp.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20892-the-holy-grail-of-curing-dpdr/

I suggest minimising, or avoiding fluorescent lights when reasonably possible; check out: google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1899&bih=888&q=depersonalization+%2B+derealization%3B+fluoresce nt+lighting&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

* Maintaining optimal levels of vitamin D (59% of Americans have levels that are depleted, or deficient; 95% for those with greater melanin pigmentation) will better enable your body to function well.

The govt. RDI of 400 IU daily is long outdated, and based on misinformation, according to Dr. John Cannell, at the VitaminDcouncil. Dr. Weil, Dr. Ben Kim, Dr. Axe, Dr. Gominak, a neurologist, and Dr. Mercola* all agree that an RDI of 5000 IU daily is not excessive, although higher levels may be required as people age, and / or put on weight. My doctor, on the basis of several peer reviewed studies, also agrees that an RDI of 5000 IU daily is not excessive, and it is virtually impossible to get the required amount from dietary sources, without the risk of toxicity.

* VITAMIN D DOSE RECOMMENDATIONS
AGE DOSAGE
"Below 5: 35 units per pound per day
Age 5 - 10: 2500 units
Adults: 5000 units
Pregnant Women: 5000 units
WARNING:
There is no way to know if the above recommendations are correct. The ONLY way to know is to test your blood. You might need 4-5 times the amount recommended above. Ideally your blood level of 25 OH D should be 60ng/ml".

The NOAEL (No observed adverse effect level) specified by the Institute of Medicine is 10,000 IU/day. Around 1 person in 300 is allergic to it, so start out with only 1,000 IU on the first day, if supplementing.

Dr. Gominak now recommends optimising vitamin D levels in the range 60 ng/ml to 80 ng/ml, and Dr. Mercola recommended 60 ng/ml or 150 nmol/litre, which is now my target level.

Vitamin D is not a true vitamin, but a hormonal substrate that is vitally important for the activation of almost 3,000 genes in the body. Its main cofactors are: zinc, magnesium, vitamin K2, and boron.

Google: "How To Make Sure That You Are Getting Enough Vitamin D; Dr. Ben Kim", then: "My 1 hr free lecture on vitamin D; Dr. Mercola".

You could begin optimising vitamin D levels with 50,000 IU, then 10,000 IU or more daily, once the test results have come through, until at the desired level. It takes several weeks for the levels to stabilise. Test again after 8 weeks, then at least twice yearly, until confident of being in the required range, but still test annually.

50,000 IU capsules are available; Dr. Cannell at vitaminDcouncil.org recommends biotechpharmacal.com or you can use Amazon.com.

Sensible sunlight exposure, or UVB lamps are preferable to supplements, although they may not be an option in many cases. Unless you know that you have sufficient levels of it's main cofactors; zinc, boron, magnesium, and vitamin K2, it may be wise to also take a high quality multivitamin / mineral supplement daily, preferably a 100% natural one, from a vitamin, or health food store, or online at xtend-life.com or mercola.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Since beginning to optimise my vitamin D levels, I have not had one cold in 5 years, when I used to get them regularly, but I have no info on colds and anxiety levels.

Dr. Mercola advised to apply a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide to both ears, or to suck on zinc lozenges at the first sign of a cold; within 12 hrs.

Hydrogen Peroxide For Colds and Flu, at
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/03/13/hydrogen-peroxide-part-one.aspx

Zinc—One of the Best Supplements to Help Fight Cold and Flu, at articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/13/zinc-for-colds-and-flu.aspx

Is Zinc Really Good for Common Cold?, at
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/03/is-zinc-really-good-for-a-cold.aspx

pi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-D and
ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/ also refer.

Also see: "Can Vitamin D Cure the Common Cold?", at
articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/21/can-vitamin-d-cure-the-common-cold.aspx

"In the largest study yet of the association between vitamin D and respiratory infections, people with the lowest blood vitamin D levels reported having significantly more recent colds or cases of the flu. The risks were even higher for those with chronic respiratory disorders such as asthma.

Vitamin C has been used for the prevention of colds for decades, but little scientific evidence supports its effectiveness. In contrast, evidence has accumulated that vitamin D plays a key role in the immune system.

The wintertime deficiency of vitamin D, which the body produces in response to sunlight, has been implicated in the seasonal increase in colds and flu, and previous small studies have suggested an association between low blood levels of vitamin D and a higher risk of respiratory infections.

The newest study analyzed blood levels of vitamin D from almost 19,000 adult and adolescents, selected to be representative of the overall U.S. population".

Note that having optimal levels of vitamin D (around 60 ng/ml or 150 nmol/lit) will reduce the incidence of colds and 'flu, but can't be regarded as an effective treatment, because it can take some weeks to correct a deficiency in it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I didn't insert the above emoticon / smiley; tried to remove it, but failed!

Davit
10-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Low magnesium cost me my teeth.

ZigZiglar
10-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Nowuccas you've been around the block already huh. I agree with your really helpful post.

I had a high (10,000iu daily) dosage of D3 and Fish/Flaxseed oil blends prescribed by a Sports Physician to aid natural healing after a cortisone injection into my right shoulder joint to treat bursitis. With Omega blends, you can balance the Omega-3s out with extra Flaxseed Oil softgels. I have found Tumeric Extract and N-Acetyl-Glucosamine also assist with chronic inflammatory conditions. The later also helps supply precursors in the development of synovial fluid. There are other supplements that can help with anxiety/depression and sleep and a lot of them also help with gastro-intestinal problems too. Amino acids are becoming recognised as a reliable alternative to prescription meds - or at least the potential is there for Psychiatrists to assist with blends. The trouble is you can't combine them with other selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) unless you really know what you're doing or are under guidance, which you may already be on if you have been dealing with depression. Some herbs also have a direct impact on brain chemistry, like St Johns Wart, which a lot of people swear by for depression.

Davit
10-02-2015, 09:53 PM
St Johns Wart is considered an MAO by some sources so not recommended by them if you take an SSRI. Apparently it compounds the SSRI.

There is a diet for getting tryptophan into your brain where it converts to 5HTP then Serotonin. I do this.
I can't take Glucosamine sulphide (a sugar,an amino acid, and sulphur, the building block of cartilage) because of the sulphides, gives me head aches so I eat tons of onions for the sulphur. Interesting that if the amino acid was tryptophan this would get it into the brain also.

ZigZiglar
10-03-2015, 12:13 AM
St Johns Wart is considered an MAO by some sources so not recommended by them if you take an SSRI. Apparently it compounds the SSRI.

There is a diet for getting tryptophan into your brain where it converts to 5HTP then Serotonin. I do this.
I can't take Glucosamine sulphide (a sugar,an amino acid, and sulphur, the building block of cartilage) because of the sulphides, gives me head aches so I eat tons of onions for the sulphur. Interesting that if the amino acid was tryptophan this would get it into the brain also.

That's right; St John's Wort is in the same category as Amino Acids in that they should only be combined with Pharmaceuticals with professional guidance. Many people take SJW instead of SSRIs with great effect. I haven't tried it myself yet. AcetylGlucosamine doesn't contain the sulphites that upset you - have you tried that before? Doesn't matter if you enjoy onions :D

Davit
10-03-2015, 12:43 AM
Nope, But then I'm mostly RA not OA. I know this product as NAC. An immune suppressant 8 -17% suppressant of leukocytes. Like the drug methotrexate. Like prednisone, an anti inflammatory. Need to read more, it might replace prednisone. Works by stopping your immune system from removing cartilage.
On another note taking 5HTP doesn't work unless you strip the competing Amino acids of their carriers even though it will cross the blood brain barrier.