PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition and Anxiety - how to help yourself with food :)

northstar
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't think i can post links in the forum, so i thought i would just post up this article for you all to read. please PM me if you'd like the link. using nutrition is how i got better, i only ever get anxious now if i fall off the nutrition wagon! of course i also went for therapy to learn to deal with the stress of it better, but the nutrition thing was the key for me.

What we put in our body can have a direct impact on how we feel physically and emotionally. It is important to be aware of what you are putting in your body and how some foods could actually be increasing your experience of anxiety - especially if you are a sensitive person. Some of the anxiety your experience may actually be due to particular stimulants your are consuming, or deficiencies in particular vitamins and minerals. The following information is extremely important in your overall recovery program from anxiety. Think about your lifestyle and what you may be doing that could be exasperating your anxiety. Bourne,E.J. in his book 'The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook',( 1995), outlines how stimulants, salt, preservatives, hormones in meat, and sweet refined foods can potentially exasperate your anxiety.

Stimulants
Caffeine – coffee, tea, alcohol, coke stimulate an adrenal response in your body, which can provoke anxiety, nervousness and insomnia to name a few side effects. They also deplete the body of necessary vitamins and minerals that help balance our mood and nervous system. Recommended dosage – less than 100mg per day (one cup of percolated coffee or two diet cola beverages per day. Less than 50mg per day is preferable.
Nicotine – this is as strong as caffeine – it stimulates increased physiological arousal, vasoconstriction and makes your heart work harder. Smokers tend to be more anxious than non-smokers and tend to sleep less well than non-smokers

Stimulant Drugs – beware of prescription drugs that contain caffeine and amphetamines, and recreational drugs such as cocaine that increase levels of anxiety and panic attacks in people using them.

Salt
Salt depletes the body of potassium, a mineral important to the proper functioning of the nervous system. Salt raises blood pressure that in turn puts a strain on the heart and arteries and hastens arteriolosclerosis. Recommended dosage – do not excess 1gm of salt per day.

Preservatives
There are over 5000 chemical additives in commercial food processing. Our bodies are not equipped to handle these, and little is known about long term biological effects. Try and eat whole unprocessed foods as much as possible. Try to purchase vegetables and fruit that haven’t been treated with pesticides (organically grown).

Hormones in Meat
Most commercially forms of meat have been fed hormones to promote fast weight gain and growth. One hormone diethylstilbestrol (DES) has been implicated in the development of breast cancer and fibroid tumors. Try to replace red meat, pork and poultry with organically raised beef, poultry and fish such as cod, salmon, snapper, sole, trout.
Sweet, refined foods
Reduce intake of sweet refined foods as these affect the blood sugar that can lead to anxiety and mood swings while also affecting how the brain functions.

Ref: Bourne,E.J.,(1995) 'The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, p.333 -337 passim.

MSG

MSG from Chinese takeaway should be avoided as it can have a major irritating effect on the nervous system producing the following: headaches, tingling, numbness and chest pains.

Drink Soda Water

Soda water increases the levels of carbon dioxide that helps the body to become balanced when someone is hyperventilating. Soda water also decreases smooth muscle contractions and dilates blood vessels, which allows blood to flow easily around the body.

Food Allergies
Be aware to check for food allergies as they can be one of the main causes of many emotional problems.

Food to eat to reduce anxiety and maintain calm state
Wholegrain cereals
Asparagus
Garlic
Eggs
Fish
Molasses
Wheat germ
Brewers yeast
Carrots
Onions
Beetroot
Spinach
Paw paw
Celery
Stone fruit
Avocado

Stressful Eating Habits

Stress and anxiety can be aggravated not only by what you eat, but the way you eat. Any of the following habits can aggravate your daily level of stress:
Eating too fast or on the run
Not chewing food at least 15-20 times per mouthful
Eating too much to the point of feeling stuffed or bloated
Drinking too much fluid with a meal which can dilute stomach acid and digestive enzymes (one cup with a meal is sufficient)
These behaviours put strain on your stomach and intestines in their attempt to properly digest and assimilate food. This increases stress in two ways:

Directly through indigestion, bloating, and cramping.
Indirectly through malabsorption of essential nutrients.

Nutrients

There are specific nutrients which can decrease anxiety. These include:
Magnesium – aids with muscle relaxation, maintenance of the heart muscle, neuromuscular transmission and widening of the blood vessels. A deficiency of magnesium can cause:

Agitation
Anxiety
Behavioral disturbances
Confusion
Cold hands and feet
Depression
Insomnia
Restlessness

B Complex Vitamins – these are the spark plugs for our body. They help provide energy by acting with enzymes to convert major nutrients such as carbohydrates to energy forms. They are important for the normal function of the nervous system and are helpful in bringing relaxation or energy to individuals who are stressed or fatigued. A deficiency of certain B vitamins will cause:

Fatigue
Irritability
Nervousness
Depression
Insomnia
Loss of appetite

Calcium – works with maintenance of electrolyte balance, muscle contractions, nerve transmission, regulation of cell division, hormone secretion and bone and teeth formation. A deficiency can cause:

Agitation
Depression
Heart palpitations
Insomnia
Irritability

The information in this second part of Nutrition has been provided by Janet Schloss, a qualified Naturopath and Nutritionist from Brisbane, Australia.

The Alpha Gamer
09-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Alot of the stuff in the start of the article says that what it's talking about is bad for you, but i don't see it say that it makes anxiety worse....worth a try though, and i wouldn't mind the link if there's more about anxiety on that site

northstar
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
ummmm i'm not sure by your response if you understood what the article is saying? it's pointing out the foods and additives that can actually create anxiety or make it worse, and then at the bottom it tells you what foods to eat more of and what supplements can help. when it talks about foods having an effect on the nervous system this can be directly related to anxiety. soothing your nervous system helps soothe anxiety.

it's telling you what foods make anxiety worse and what foods can help. this works very well for me e.g. if i drink tea it has caffeine and sugar in it (i put sugar in my tea), both sugar and caffeine are known to make anxiety worse. anyway, when i drink too much tea i'll often find that after a while i'm on edge and my stomach feels tight, it can give me heart palpitations and if i don't sort it out it can leave me very anxious and panicky and i can't sleep which just makes things worse. the same happens if i drink alcohol or if i eat too much chocolate or take away foods, and even if i don't eat frequently enough. this article is just asking you to be aware of the foods that you put in your body and how they affect sensitive people. it actually says at the beginning "What we put in our body can have a direct impact on how we feel physically and emotionally. It is important to be aware of what you are putting in your body and how some foods could actually be increasing your experience of anxiety - especially if you are a sensitive person. Some of the anxiety your experience may actually be due to particular stimulants your are consuming, or deficiencies in particular vitamins and minerals."

anyway, i'll PM you the link anyway, i hope you find it helpful :)

Alot of the stuff in the start of the article says that what it's talking about is bad for you, but i don't see it say that it makes anxiety worse....worth a try though, and i wouldn't mind the link if there's more about anxiety on that site