PDA

View Full Version : Massage therapy for shoulder pain?

elizabathr
09-28-2015, 03:11 AM
Hi,
While browsing, I had noticed that massage therapy is one of the best ways to get rid of shoulder pain. So, I’m planning to get a massage therapy treatment from Oakville chiropractic clinic, the best chiropractic clinic in Oakville. Is it the right choice for me? Does anyone have experience with this treatment center? Please share your experience. Thank you in advance.

Nowuccas
09-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Hey elizabathr,

It may have helped to know your age, the possible origin (injury? arthritic? - overuse?) and timeline of the pain, which shoulder, and your preferred hand, and I have no info on the Oakville chiropractic clinic, but I can provide some about tips re pain. They are well worth adopting and maintaining, but will probably take several weeks to begin becoming effective.

Check out vitamindwiki.com/Search+Results?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&q=shoulder+pain&domains=vitamindwiki.com&sitesearch=vitamindwiki.com

and

vitamindwiki.com/Pain+-+chronic such as:

Pain reduced when enough vitamin D was given – review March 2015, and

Chronic pain 40 percent less intense associated with 10 nanogram more vitamin D – April 2014, and

400,000 IU of vitamin D reduced adult pain and improved quality of life – March 2014

Maintaining optimal levels of vitamin D (59% of Americans have levels that are depleted, or deficient; 95% for those with greater melanin pigmentation) will better enable your body to function well.

The govt. RDI of 400 IU daily is long outdated, and based on misinformation, according to Dr. John Cannell, at the VitaminDcouncil. Dr. Weil, Dr. Ben Kim, Dr. Axe, Dr. Gominak, a neurologist, and Dr. Mercola* all agree that an RDI of 5000 IU daily is not excessive, although higher levels may be required as people age, and / or put on weight. My doctor, on the basis of several peer reviewed studies, also agrees that an RDI of 5000 IU daily is not excessive, and it is virtually impossible to get the required amount from dietary sources, without the risk of toxicity.

* VITAMIN D DOSE RECOMMENDATIONS
AGE DOSAGE
"Below 5: 35 units per pound per day
Age 5 - 10: 2500 units
Adults: 5000 units
Pregnant Women: 5000 units
WARNING:
There is no way to know if the above recommendations are correct. The ONLY way to know is to test your blood. You might need 4-5 times the amount recommended above. Ideally your blood level of 25 OH D should be 60ng/ml".

The NOAEL (No observed adverse effect level) specified by the Institute of Medicine is 10,000 IU/day. Around 1 person in 300 is allergic to it, so start out with only 1,000 IU on the first day, if supplementing.

Dr. Gominak now recommends optimising vitamin D levels in the range 60 ng/ml to 80 ng/ml, and Dr. Mercola recommended 60 ng/ml or 150 nmol/litre, which is now my target level.

Vitamin D is not a true vitamin, but a hormonal substrate that is vitally important for the activation of almost 3,000 genes in the body. Its main cofactors are: zinc, magnesium, vitamin K2, and boron.

Google: "How To Make Sure That You Are Getting Enough Vitamin D; Dr. Ben Kim", then: "My 1 hr free lecture on vitamin D; Dr. Mercola".

You could begin optimising vitamin D levels with 50,000 IU, then 10,000 IU or more daily, once the test results have come through, until at the desired level. It takes several weeks for the levels to stabilise. Test again after 8 weeks, then at least twice yearly, until confident of being in the required range, but still test annually.

50,000 IU capsules are available; Dr. Cannell at vitaminDcouncil.org recommends biotechpharmacal.com or you can use Amazon.com.

Sensible sunlight exposure, or UVB lamps are preferable to supplements, although they may not be an option in many cases. Unless you know that you have sufficient levels of it's main cofactors; zinc, boron, magnesium, and vitamin K2, it may be wise to also take a high quality multivitamin / mineral supplement daily, preferably a 100% natural one, from a vitamin, or health food store, or online at xtend-life.com or mercola.com

Take at least 4, and up to 9 Omega 3 fish oil supplements, (high in E.P.A.) or the recommended dose of a high quality of fish, or krill oil* daily, like Carlsons, or Melrose: (certified free of mercury) it is best if consumed with an antioxidant, such as an orange, or its FRESHLY SQUEEZED juice. If vitamin E is added, it should be certified as being 100% from natural sources, or it may be synthetic: avoid it! Basically, if a vitamin supplement shows dl, which is the acronym for dextro-levo, it contains both isomers, and is therefore synthetic in origin.

View: google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=dextro-levo%3B+vitamins&btnG=Google+Search
Females may benefit by balancing the DHA, & EPA versions of Omega 3 in fish, or krill* oil with ALA flaxseed oil Omega 3, or at least one heaped tablespoonful of ground flaxseed, daily. Vegetarians: Google: "Omega 3; algae; supplies" and use with flaxseed. *Use the mercola.com SEARCHBAR. Most people in the USA get several times more omega 6 than omega 3, when a far healthier ratio would be closer to 2:1

It will help reduce inflammation. Also Google: "herbs + spices; anti inflammatory; mercola" and check out pain as well.

Consider acupuncture, if the massage proves ineffective. It seems to me that much depends on your age, and the cause of the pain; whether it results from degeneration of the shoulder. If its origin is muscular, massage may well help.

ZigZiglar
09-30-2015, 03:53 PM
When I had a shoulder injury, my sports physician recommended a high daily dose of Vitamin D (10,000iu) with pathology reviews 3 monthly. He also recommended a Fish/Flaxseed Oil blend that was rich in all the essential fatty acids. I'd go one further and recommend Glucosamine too, as it not only helps reduce inflammation but also assists with the production of synovial fluid (what lubricates our joints). Tumeric Root Extract (or even just a half tsp of regular spice powder) also helps.

It really depends what the injury is. I had bursitis, but also a lot of muscle tightness and postural issues. Massage can certainly help by getting rid of knots and mobilising blood and other stuff in the area. You may need to do rotator cuff exercises to strengthen the supporting musculature, but the chiro should be able to address the rehabilitation side of it too.

mantishugo
10-15-2015, 12:21 AM
There is a point (one on each shoulder) which one pressed with the finger tip for at least 2 minutes gives relief from shoulder pain. People call it acupressure point. You can search about its exact place on by searching about it on Google. I drink a glass of Tahitian Noni Juice. It is also a natural pain reliever.