PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

infinity
09-27-2015, 09:48 PM
I've always been shy, but that's manageable and not bad. Recently, I've been getting these weird spells. They've only happened in public so far but they seem to happen for no reason that I can figure out-I'm never scared or very worried when they happen. Maybe it's just because I'm around a lot of people when they do. They happen at school and work. I feel like I can't breathe, or like I've stopped breathing. I feel like everyone is staring at me, thinking "what the heck is wrong with her" but when I look up no one is, lol. My heart starts to beat faster and I feel like I don't know what to do with my hands. I feel lightheaded and like I am going to pass out and then I start to worry like "Oh god I can't pass out I'm at school/work" and then I know I sort of have to "talk myself out of it" you know, and I start to make myself breathe deeper and I try to occupy myself so I don't think about. They never last very long but I can get a few of them in a day.

What do you think this is and why do y'all think this is happening?

jessed03
09-28-2015, 02:59 AM
Anxiety, my friend. It comes in all shapes and sizes. :)

If these spells are mild, you might be able to get rid of them by performing daily relaxation exercises. Sounds simple, but they do make a difference. 10-20 minutes of meditation/breathing exercises/progressive muscle relaxation daily is a must.

Depending on how old you are and your gender, you might want to try magnesium supplementation too. So many people are low these days because they don't eat well. If that sounds like you, worth thinking about. Low magnesium causes, you guessed it, anxiety.

And finally, a check up with the doctor might be beneficial. They'll be able to offer you a blood test to check your B and D levels, as well as your sugars and hormones. Sometimes physical ailments can cause anxiety.

Nowuccas
09-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Hey infinity,
they seem like panic attacks to me:

Symptoms of panic attacks
Palpitations, pounding heart, or fast heart rate
Sweating
Trembling and shaking
Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
Feelings of choking
Chest pain or discomfort
Nausea or abdominal distress
Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
Derealization (feelings of unreality - that things aren't real) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
Fear of losing control or going crazy
Fear of dying
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Chills or hot flashes

Advice from a clinical psychologist about panic attacks is to breathe in to the count of 3: (count: one thousand one; one thousand two; one thousand three) each takes around a second to say to yourself, in your mind, and out to the count of 3. Keep repeating this until the panic subsides, (up to 25 minutes) which will deal with the hyperventilation aspect. Learn to recognise the thoughts which trigger attacks; challenge and reprogram as shown.

Use the Technique for Reprogramming Negative Thoughts: It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

Give the Meridian Tapping Technique / EFT a good tryout, to see if it helps you. It is free via the searchbar at mercola.com "EFT" & "EFT therapists" or tapping.com (13 free videos), or eftuniverse.com or emofree.com or one of the many YouTube videos. Google: "YouTube; EFT videos".
Professionally instructed is generally preferable. - There is a version for use in public places at eft.mercola.com (if you like, you can claim to have a headache, as you employ the acupressure massage / tapping on your temples, but you would then be restricted to subvocalising: saying it to yourself in your mind: "Even though I suffer from panic attacks, I deeply and completely accept myself)."

Learn Progressive Muscle Relaxation, as shown at drcoxconsulting.com/managing-stress.html

Use whichever you find most effective.