PDA

View Full Version : Tried Essential Oils?

esto9
09-22-2015, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,

I started getting anxiety/panic attacks 5 years ago after a traumatic event. For 4 years I hoped it would go away cause I'm reluctant to see a doctor or therapist cause I'm a guy I suppose lol. Last year I had a series of panic attacks for days that left me feeling changed and different than I had felt in the previous 4 years. I decided it was time to aggressively attack my issues so I could move on with my life with so much of my life ahead of me (I'm currently 23).

I began looking up all sorts of "cures" and supplements, experimenting with almost nearly everything. Went on and off medication - didn't work for me. I finally got over my ego and the stigma that yoga was just for girls and began going to a class at least once a week and meditating nearly every day. LOVED IT.

Now a part of the yoga community I learned about essential oils. For those who don't know anything about them they're basically medicinal oils from different plants that are purified through steam distillation and put into a diffuser for aromatherapy or just rubbed onto your skin and absorbed. All sorts of different plants have all sorts of medicinal properties. My favorites were the ones that calmed the nervous system and my anxiety.

With all this anxiety I was worried about the effects the stress would have on my health down the road (Pretty sure the definition of anxiety is worrying about things that haven't happened yet... lol). I have a bachelors degree in biology and am a HUGE nerd and with any supplement/med I took I naturally checked out how the biochemistry of the essential oils were affecting the body and there's a ton of scientific literature on them.

My friend going through a similar anxious period recommended me the Frankincense essential oil. I checked out its effects and turns out it lowers the amount of cortisol in the bloodstream. For those who don't know, cortisol is the main stress hormone produced by the body. Ever since finding frankincense I don't do yoga without it. I typically use it while meditating and before sleep with the theory that it chills me out so I get more restful sleep.

Once I read a scientific study on something beneficial I'm usually sold on it and get good results (placebo effect?). Anybody else have a similar experience or have any suggestions for other oils to try? Frankincense is the only one I've tried but I've heard of a couple others.

Dahila
09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Essential oils are very potent and rubbing them on the skin can cause a lot of problems for you. They must be always dissolved in carrier oil i.e. 10 drops of EO in 1 tbsp of carrier oil,; almond, grapeseed oi., hazelnut oil and countless others. Using them without sound knowledge is more than naive and dangerous for yourself

esto9
09-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Essential oils are very potent and rubbing them on the skin can cause a lot of problems for you. They must be always dissolved in carrier oil i.e. 10 drops of EO in 1 tbsp of carrier oil,; almond, grapeseed oi., hazelnut oil and countless others. Using them without sound knowledge is more than naive and dangerous for yourself

What problems can arise?