PDA

View Full Version : Doubting reality please help

Powerslave2112
09-21-2015, 11:27 PM
Hey there,

For about 2 years ive been dealing with intrusive thoughts and just stricken with fear about things that never used to bother me. It started when i was coming out of a relationship the hocd started and all that fun stuff. Ive never been diagnosed with ocd but from reading about pure o id say i fit the bill pretty well (probably not the best idea to self diagnose). Then one day i had the thought of what if everything wasnt real. This thought got me really good and has bothered me ever since and has made me feel hazy like and not in the moment at all. Kinda feels like everythings faded and im just out of it. Some days are ok others not so much. What really upsets me is its as if this thought takes away the joy in life. I remember when i used to notice how beautiful a day it was or just going out and having fun im general and noticing how beautiful life can be. When i get caught up on another thought i notice that worry goes away. Sometimes id rather focus on another obessive thought than that but i know thats not the right thing to do.

If anyone can offer any help or insight i would greatly appreciate it and hopefully i will be able to help some one else out with a similar problem.

Thanks alot!

boltsoros
09-22-2015, 02:41 AM
Hi Powerslave,

I know exactly how you feel!! It can really freak you out and bring you down.........really makes you want to stay inside because the only thing that keeps coming to mind when your outside is how unreal everything really seems!!
I was an on - again, off - again anxiety sufferer for about 20 years, with mostly good days until about 2 years ago and then I got hit real hard and started feeling what your feeling now. This one is a tough one because overcoming obsessive and compulsive thoughts begin with letting the thought just come and pass right on by; however, when you feel like this, it is more than a thought......it really controls how you view the world. I'm not sure that I've really conquered this whole problem, but it has gotten better.........You really have to just let go, I know it's easier said than done, but try to focus on the fact that these thoughts and feelings your having are not reality.....its not how the world really is. When you walk outside and these thoughts come at you and you feel hazy.......just try and focus on something else; trying to fight the hazy feeling and troubled thoughts are not going to make them pass.....it's only going to make you focus on it more, which in turn is only going to make it worse. When you finally just say "screw it", and let life move forward, regardless of how you feel, you will start to forget about the intrusive weird thoughts and the haze will start to lift. Take comfort that you are not the only one that is dealing with these feelings, we're all on this crazy ride together.......try to enjoy life and not let these feelings ruin your days. You are not losing your mind.......you probably have some OCD and some anxiety, both of which are totally manageble. Try to not fix a problem that doesn't exist, work on the real problem......anxiety and OCD; All is good.............Hope this helps.

Goomba
09-22-2015, 12:42 PM
A lot of people have anxiety around this, probably because it challenges your core beliefs about life. Really - it's you challenging everything you thought you knew, which is a good thing!

Is any of it real? That's one of my favorite topics to ponder.

You have to remember though, even if it's not real, you still have to operate within this reality. There is so much to learn and experience here. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if there is a different reality, because today you are here, and have the chance to experience this life.

Why not make the best of it?

Powerslave2112
09-30-2015, 07:09 AM
Thank you both for your replies they have both helped in their own ways. Hope everything is going well for both of you.

ZigZiglar
09-30-2015, 03:36 PM
The surrealism and a feeling of disconnection with reality can be described as 'dissociation'. It happens to me the most when I'm overwhelmed with social anxiety. My mind tends to turn to these kinds of Zen-like thoughts and other existential philosophies. Dissociation can progress to psychosis, so be aware of that. I agree that treating the source is the best approach, but this may take time partaking in CBD/DBT. Meanwhile, I'd personally recommend connecting with your GP and considering a gentle dose of an appropriate medication that will help ground you and lessen the spiralling thoughts.