PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your brain forget a certain thought?

alexdakota
09-19-2015, 12:51 PM
I noticed that the root of all my anxiety problems, especially sensorimotor obsessions is the lack of my brain easily moving on to the surrounding environment, or the thoughts about tomorrow or anything else.. For example, the most vivid experience i had was when a random guy past by me and when i saw his face i first thought, ok now how do i forget about his face? And since that time, for days followed i COULD NOT stop thinking about that thought, no matter if i laid back and tried to relax, or close my eyes and try to just leave the thoughts out... It got to the point where my body was there, but my brain was at the place where i was when i saw him face...
And if i have so much difficulty letting go of thoughts, i believe it's the reason i also have sensorimotor obsessions.. Because once i remember about them i'm panicking that my brain will once more get stuck on those obsessions and won't let go..
So if anybody else experienced this, please give me some tips into a way to just keep my brain moving forward! (I have an INCREDIBLE memory and it makes obsessions 10 times worse..)

____Dave____
09-19-2015, 04:26 PM
How do you make your brain forget a certain thought?

That is the million dollar question, and if it could be answered easily, then most of the anxiety and depression problems in the world would be solved (or at least lessened to a great extent).

I think it helps if you separate your brain's thoughts from who you really are (i.e. you are not your thoughts).

Your brain works on its own 99% of the time and almost every thought you have is not your own; it is either a learned behavior (from parents, teachers, peers etc.), an instinct (such as fear, anger, hunger etc.), or an automatic thought (like dreaming or day-dreaming).

So basically, you are a conscious being trapped inside a mammalian chunk of flesh and organs with animal instincts. As I said, your brain is running on auto-pilot 99% of the time, so you need to take back control of the thoughts that your brain is running on auto-pilot.

The short answer is, this can be done through practicing meditation and self awareness. You must learn to control your thoughts and remember You Are Not Your Thoughts!

I hope that made some kind of sense.

alexdakota
09-19-2015, 05:38 PM
That is the million dollar question, and if it could be answered easily, then most of the anxiety and depression problems in the world would be solved (or at least lessened to a great extent).

I think it helps if you separate your brain's thoughts from who you really are (i.e. you are not your thoughts).

Your brain works on its own 99% of the time and almost every thought you have is not your own; it is either a learned behavior (from parents, teachers, peers etc.), an instinct (such as fear, anger, hunger etc.), or an automatic thought (like dreaming or day-dreaming).

So basically, you are a conscious being trapped inside a mammalian chunk of flesh and organs with animal instincts. As I said, your brain is running on auto-pilot 99% of the time, so you need to take back control of the thoughts that your brain is running on auto-pilot.

The short answer is, this can be done through practicing meditation and self awareness. You must learn to control your thoughts and remember You Are Not Your Thoughts!

I hope that made some kind of sense.

Thanx for sharing your advice and tried to help my problem! Do you think a psychotherapist may be of help or something? Or can it be improved with no professional help?

Goomba
09-20-2015, 02:43 AM
Evaluate why it's an issue.

What's the problem with not being able to get a thought out of your head? Why must it leave ?

Evaluate why you are attaching significance to certain thoughts.

What makes a mans face significant? What makes not being able to get his face out of your mind an issue? Why is having a thought about it a problem?

What do you fear?

If you're anxious about not forgetting then you're going to naturally think more about what you hope you will forget about.

Why do you need to forget in order to not obsess?

These are all just questions to think on.

Yes, your thoughts don't have to create your identity, but some issue within you is manifesting itself in your thoughts. My hunch would be that you are controlling anxiety through obsessing over various things. Learn to break down the need for control and confront the anxiety = relieve the symptom of obsessive thought.

alexdakota
09-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Evaluate why it's an issue.

What's the problem with not being able to get a thought out of your head? Why must it leave ?

Evaluate why you are attaching significance to certain thoughts.

What makes a mans face significant? What makes not being able to get his face out of your mind an issue? Why is having a thought about it a problem?

What do you fear?

If you're anxious about not forgetting then you're going to naturally think more about what you hope you will forget about.

Why do you need to forget in order to not obsess?

These are all just questions to think on.

Yes, your thoughts don't have to create your identity, but some issue within you is manifesting itself in your thoughts. My hunch would be that you are controlling anxiety through obsessing over various things. Learn to break down the need for control and confront the anxiety = relieve the symptom of obsessive thought.

I personally believe it's because i found out the answer to many of my obsession but i haven't found any effective ways against forgetting a thought.. I mean the second i ask that question that specific moment gets printed in my brain and for that point on it tortures me and won't leave for the upcoming days, making them go to waste... His face wasn't anything significant, it is the thought that how do you go through the day meeting strangers and not think anything about them? Just going to where you have to go, buy what you want and not focus on their faces or anything particular like that? If i do this unconsciously i never have anything stuck in my head, but the minute i remember that one question and look at a person's face, then BAM it starts from there and i dont know how to make it go away..

Goomba
09-20-2015, 07:54 PM
What you're describing sounds like obsessive thought. The issue isn't forgetting - if we forgot everything we thought about we would have no life lol. It sounds like you're saying you can't turn your brain off, or can't stop focusing on/thinking about something you notice.

When this stuff would happen to me, it was out of fear. In example, I would be afraid of a health issue, and wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it to save my life. No. Matter. What. I needed to run it through my head again just to find a sense of reassurance and control.

I suspect a fear drives this issue in you as well, though it may be completely different. Perhaps it's the obsession you talked about?

On some level you are registering that you need to think about said thing (possibly to alleviate anxiety or obsession?) and are distressed that you are not able to. That distress cycle is what makes you think about it time and time again. In other words, the perception that you are unable to stop thinking about it is an issue to you, and that causes distress. When distressed the thoughts will trigger again.

I feel as though if you identify what the problem with not being able to stop thinking about something is, you will then move towards no longer doing it.

What do you think will happen if you can never stop focusing on something?

Why is attaching significance to insignificant things an issue? (IE a mans face)

What makes you need to not have to have repetitive thoughts about something?

Is a feeling of a lack of control present when this happens?

How does the obsession you mentioned affect you?

Any change starts with reflection.

alexdakota
09-20-2015, 08:28 PM
What you're describing sounds like obsessive thought. The issue isn't forgetting - if we forgot everything we thought about we would have no life lol. It sounds like you're saying you can't turn your brain off, or can't stop focusing on/thinking about something you notice.

When this stuff would happen to me, it was out of fear. In example, I would be afraid of a health issue, and wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it to save my life. No. Matter. What. I needed to run it through my head again just to find a sense of reassurance and control.

I suspect a fear drives this issue in you as well, though it may be completely different. Perhaps it's the obsession you talked about?

On some level you are registering that you need to think about said thing (possibly to alleviate anxiety or obsession?) and are distressed that you are not able to. That distress cycle is what makes you think about it time and time again. In other words, the perception that you are unable to stop thinking about it is an issue to you, and that causes distress. When distressed the thoughts will trigger again.

I feel as though if you identify what the problem with not being able to stop thinking about something is, you will then move towards no longer doing it.

What do you think will happen if you can never stop focusing on something?

Why is attaching significance to insignificant things an issue? (IE a mans face)

What makes you need to not have to have repetitive thoughts about something?

Is a feeling of a lack of control present when this happens?

How does the obsession you mentioned affect you?

Any change starts with reflection.

Yes, it is an obsessive thought! A psychotherapist diagnosed my symptoms, but it wasn't OCD so i believe it was from anxiety disorder! Once you have intense anxiety, everything around you becomes more aware of! This includes sensorimotor functionalities and all of that (I won't go into details because even reading the specific words triggers my sensorimotor obsessions..) And yes i can't turn off my brain, or just lay back and relax like all the other normal people! I dont mind having a great memory, i just hate it when it reminds me constantly of my obsessions.. What i feel like is gonna happen if i cant focus on anything else, is that i will forever live in torment , like living in hell! I also feel like all the great times with my friends, or my trips with my motorcycle won't have the same calmness and happiness and laughter because at the back of my head this monster will keep hitting me and whispering <I'm still here> .. That's how i view my obsessive thoughts, it's like a constant tyrant keeps showing up the moment you start feeling peaceful! Please i would love to hear what you have to say on how i view these thoughts! Waiting for your reply!

Ahlstrom
09-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Lots of beer

Goomba
09-20-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry if by chance I have upset you, that wasn't my intention.

I can't tell you anything that is a miracle answer to make them stop, and I don't know how you feel about your thoughts, other than distress/anxiety is present.

The questions I asked you are meant for reflection.

In all honesty, I have only replied to you while slacking off at work, so it is possible I am missing something you are saying. If that's the case, I'm sorry.

My answer to making them stop is that you have address the underlying cause of your anxiety. Without discussing/being aware of that stuff, the thoughts will continue. The obsessive thought is a symptom of said anxiety, in my opinion.

You mentioned not being able to enjoy life to the fullest, and being distracted in the moment. Can you elaborate in that? Do you feel as if you have been living, and having fulfilling experiences?

alexdakota
09-20-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm sorry if by chance I have upset you, that wasn't my intention.

I can't tell you anything that is a miracle answer to make them stop, and I don't know how you feel about your thoughts, other than distress/anxiety is present.

The questions I asked you are meant for reflection.

In all honesty, I have only replied to you while slacking off at work, so it is possible I am missing something you are saying. If that's the case, I'm sorry.

My answer to making them stop is that you have address the underlying cause of your anxiety. Without discussing/being aware of that stuff, the thoughts will continue. The obsessive thought is a symptom of said anxiety, in my opinion.

You mentioned not being able to enjoy life to the fullest, and being distracted in the moment. Can you elaborate in that? Do you feel as if you have been living, and having fulfilling experiences?

No by all means, you have not upset me! To further explain what i mean about enjoying life, is that for starters i have some great friends! They make me have a wonderful life and i can guarantee they are real buddies! However, once i loosen up and start to forget about these hellish thoughts , at the peak of the fun where jokes and enjoyment are being held , it's like this demon appearing out of nowhere saying <Hey, do you remember that you are constantly blinking? Yea try getting that out of your head now! Oh and by the way, let me remind you that you are like a mentally sick person and that none of your friends suffer from this.. You are alone!> And a rush of anxiety and panic flows all over my insides completely ruining the moment and cutting my laughter in half... To the point where i then go home, and i feel empty, cause in the end of the day, a good experience is all that matters! I dont suffer from depression or anything similar, it's this out of border anxiety destroying my LOVE for life..

djluniz
09-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Sprinting is the best way to forget something or just doing some reading in general at that.

Goomba
09-21-2015, 08:17 PM
That is actually a fairly common process for someone who is battling anxiety - just replace your fixation on insignificant things with other anxious problems.

For me, again, it was a health thing. Whatever may have been worrying me that day, in my mind, kept me from living life. Sooo, in example, if I had an ache I was worried about, but tried to not feed into anxiety and go about my day, I would find myself fixating on it non-stop. Talking with friends? " My friend is healthier than me, he doesnt even worry about stuff like this. Something must be wrong if I am having issues like this, this young. What if it's a disease? He will be happy when he goes home, but I might be dieing". Walking around work? "I remember when I didn't feel like this, will I ever reach that point again? Don't get excited for going home, you might be taking a trip to the ER, etc, etc. The worst part was, when I ever I found myself enjoying life, I remembered my fears, and that triggered the thought process, taking away any pure enjoyment.

This detached me from every situation, and it was very difficult to enjoy myself. But, for me, that was the crux of my anxiety. I wasn't living a life I was proud of. I feared of dieing without ever truly living. So, my thoughts became things that affirmed that fear.

Getting over this was a process of tearing through my psyche to figure out what my anxiety was, and how it developed. After reflection, I took action and started to create memorable experiences. I made each day about appreciating the moment versus worrying about what direction my life may or may not take.

For you, I don't know what the specifics of your anxiety are. But, it does appear, to me, that there is some degree of fear in terms of wondering whether or not you will be able to find peace in the moment again, enabling yourself to enjoy life. I suspect that is what makes your fixation an issue. Otherwise, who cares? I don't know say that to be rude, but think about it. In it's purest sense, does remembering a face and thinking about it really equate to a bad time? Does it have to detach from conversations with your friends? One has the capacity to remember odds and ends regularly throughout their daily life without it being an issue. BUT, when one attaches a red flag (feeling like you shouldnt be thinking about it, maybe? Or that it will ruin your experience?) to that thought, one then gives it a deeper meaning. So, a fleeting thought of a strangers face becomes an obsession, and eventually you apply the fear to other thoughts as well, creating what you have now, in my opinion.

Only you know the specifics of your consciousness, but I can say that obsessions are very often associated with a feeling of lack of control. The obsession is a way of the individual attempting to control the mind. If you feel out of control in your life, this may be one of your ways of coping. Its a manner of controlling your thoughts, to dictate your experience, to minimize distress.

alexdakota
09-22-2015, 12:11 AM
That is actually a fairly common process for someone who is battling anxiety - just replace your fixation on insignificant things with other anxious problems.

For me, again, it was a health thing. Whatever may have been worrying me that day, in my mind, kept me from living life. Sooo, in example, if I had an ache I was worried about, but tried to not feed into anxiety and go about my day, I would find myself fixating on it non-stop. Talking with friends? " My friend is healthier than me, he doesnt even worry about stuff like this. Something must be wrong if I am having issues like this, this young. What if it's a disease? He will be happy when he goes home, but I might be dieing". Walking around work? "I remember when I didn't feel like this, will I ever reach that point again? Don't get excited for going home, you might be taking a trip to the ER, etc, etc. The worst part was, when I ever I found myself enjoying life, I remembered my fears, and that triggered the thought process, taking away any pure enjoyment.

This detached me from every situation, and it was very difficult to enjoy myself. But, for me, that was the crux of my anxiety. I wasn't living a life I was proud of. I feared of dieing without ever truly living. So, my thoughts became things that affirmed that fear.

Getting over this was a process of tearing through my psyche to figure out what my anxiety was, and how it developed. After reflection, I took action and started to create memorable experiences. I made each day about appreciating the moment versus worrying about what direction my life may or may not take.

For you, I don't know what the specifics of your anxiety are. But, it does appear, to me, that there is some degree of fear in terms of wondering whether or not you will be able to find peace in the moment again, enabling yourself to enjoy life. I suspect that is what makes your fixation an issue. Otherwise, who cares? I don't know say that to be rude, but think about it. In it's purest sense, does remembering a face and thinking about it really equate to a bad time? Does it have to detach from conversations with your friends? One has the capacity to remember odds and ends regularly throughout their daily life without it being an issue. BUT, when one attaches a red flag (feeling like you shouldnt be thinking about it, maybe? Or that it will ruin your experience?) to that thought, one then gives it a deeper meaning. So, a fleeting thought of a strangers face becomes an obsession, and eventually you apply the fear to other thoughts as well, creating what you have now, in my opinion.

Only you know the specifics of your consciousness, but I can say that obsessions are very often associated with a feeling of lack of control. The obsession is a way of the individual attempting to control the mind. If you feel out of control in your life, this may be one of your ways of coping. Its a manner of controlling your thoughts, to dictate your experience, to minimize distress.

I did battle the health thing you are referring to! But not with any disease, it was more like something happening to my sleep mechanism and i fail to fall asleep for my entire life! When i was younger i was at the top of experimenting so i tried a little bit of weed with some guys at school.. Little did i know, my brain had a terrible reaction with it, as later on my psychiatrist explained, and from that reaction an extreme insomnia was triggered at first that lasted about 6 months.. I had slept 3 hours in 3 days, i felt like i was dying.. And some time later this anxiety was also triggered.. I wasn't causing anything to my self, it was the brain it self causing these.. After taking medication about my anxiety and calming down, i was still stuck with these health obsession thoughts! For example it was more like <hey, remember that tiny tiny weed you smoked that caused 6 months of insomnia? How do you know that any other little thing won't trigger it again?> For example a slightly spoiled food that i happened to have eaten or anything similar.. What made it even worse was, i read somewhere about a lady that after going spinal fluid surgery she couldn't sleep for the rest of her life.. At that time a year had passed without sleeping since i last read about her on some forum, and that made me wonder <Well, what if a simple tap that happened to strike my spine won't trigger the same? I mean that tiny weed caused all this, why wont some minor hit cause the same?> And you can understand what uncertainty about my health was going on from that point on.. I'm sorry that i'm writing so much, I am only getting to the point that I had to say to my self <I know you don't really believe it, but try to have a state of mind that IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!> No matter how many times you fall on your back, or accidentally eating something weird, just don't smoke what you smoked and you'll be fine! And i'm kind of going with that belief.. So for you, I'd say just leave it and if your health does not improve, We have an extremely well technology for diseases! The only thing we don't have, is a certain way to treat insomnia, as i visited a billion doctors and none of them found out how to heal my insomnia, especially that lady's in particular!

About the other topic, I do understand i have to just say well ok it's a face, after some time no feeling will be felt when u think about it, so just wait! But i really don't know how a brain keeps transitioning from a thought to another without thinking the same thought over and over.. I don't know WHY i think this, but the thought about the brain moving on to a different thought still makes me feel plenty of unexplained anxiety.. I would really love to talk more about your issue as well! Waiting for your reply!

Goomba
09-22-2015, 02:52 AM
I actually haven't struggled with anxiety for a couple years at this point. Wow! Lol I didn't realize how long it had been. My original story here can be found here :

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?30789-My-Hypochondria-Was-The-Best-Thing-To-Ever-Happen-To-Me

If you're interested. I only share it because I feel like a lot of this thought issue stuff is brought up there, as well was within some of the thread posts.

Again, the thoughts seem like trying to control the experience of life...reassuring ourselves that it will all be ok. One day it won't be, but in this moment, we both are.

alexdakota
09-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Wow, I'm actually stunned from your post! I will give the things you said plenty of thought! Hopefully i will learn to embrace my anxiety for the better, instead thinking about it as something bad..

greightful
09-24-2015, 07:08 PM
The second post from Dave brought up a great point. The way to control your obessive thoughts is by practicing "mindfulness." People think meditation is silly or doesn't work. And, it may not work at first. But if you make it a habit and meditate daily, you'll learn how to control these intrusive thoughts even when you aren't meditating. A lot of guided meditations teach you to focus on your breathing. Then, as soon as you feel your mind drifting/thinking, calmly say something like "thinking" to yourself and then bring yourself back to your breath. Even if you end of saying, "thinking" 50 times during a 15 minute meditation, it's a start. The point is to remind yourself that you're thinking about something instead of doing what you're supposed to be doing... which is concentrating on the present moment.