PDA

View Full Version : Is my psychiatrist right?

TMX
09-17-2015, 02:09 PM
So, whenever I get into situations from which I can not physically leave from (Planes, boats, trains, elevators, amusement park rides), I begin to experience severe sickness; my hands tremble and I begin to sweat, my thoughts devolve into only about escaping the situation, I feel extremely sick to the stomach and have often thrown up after such an experience, and my heart begins to pound fast.

I've had this issue since I was a kid, and the first time I remember it happening is when I was pushed into a bathroom by other kids and held there against my will. I have been able to live with this issue for the most part: I don't travel abroad, I only use busses (I feel like I can stop the bus whenever, thus I do not get these feelings), and don't use elevators. I get along with people fine, except about 6 years ago when I came of age to participate in mandatory military service (which is my hell if I have to spend there a minimum of 6 months when I can't even handle ten seconds in a train). Due to this fate I started to stress more than usual, I would deliberately fail my grades in high school just so I could seek to postpone the military service, fully knowing that I am destroying my career life. I began to sink into a very pessimistic state of mind, I stopped going out, I stopped talking to my friends, my best friend has moved away and I'm unable to gather the incentive to even meet up with him when he does come around my neighborhood.

My psychiatrist diagnosed me with MADD (Mixed anxiety-depressive disorder) and gave me 100mg of sertaline, which I would take 50mgs twice a day of. He says I'm scared of social situations and I don't really have a panic attack disorder of any kind. I just don't feel like I agree with the social phobia part, but I feel like this is agrophobia, cleithrophobia to be particular.

I am super anti social as I mentioned since 6 years ago, and I didn't really manage to explain that I am not afraid of social situations, and he mentioned this remark as "an authority issue" later on in the appointment.

Do I have MADD? 'A social phobia' as he stated?