PDA

View Full Version : Me and anxiety (my story)

ingey1968
09-07-2015, 07:15 AM
My name is Ross , I just turned 47 and have suffered with heart related anxiety for about 4 years now. I'm overweight by at least 40 pounds (258 and dropping) , have sleep apnea , high cholesterol (borderline) and I smoke (trying to quit). Not a good mix I know.

My anxiety isn't constant, I can go a year or two without it coming back. It's usually just when I have chest discomfort which I do now. The Dr recently put me on Zoloft 50 mgs. This is my fourth day of that. Besides that I take zocor and prilosec.

I pace pretty much all day when anxiety hits , usually after a couple days of it I tire myself out and something will happen that triggers me to hyperventilate. So then I naturally think my heart is giving out and panic more. So then I rush to the ER. Keep in mind I've only been in ER 3 times in last 3 years so not a weekly thing.

My last trip was two days ago, I had blood work, EKG and echo stress test. All came back fine. I realize most of my issues I bring on myself by stressing but its hard relaying logic to your body .

For those who suffer from this daily, my thoughts are with you, I could not imagine how tough that would be and hopefully here you can get some peace of mind to help cope with it . I know just talking about it helps me a lot .

intotheblackholeagain
09-07-2015, 07:43 AM
hi man. i've was going to the ER weekly. sometimes twice per week. they used to make jokes about me there. i know how it feels. it is the most dreadful thing ever. with a real disease at least you know whats going on and what are your real options. stay tough, no one died out of panic attacks. I know i didnt. but focus to reduce the stress: for me a help was photography. kept my mind focused on it. i was just hittin the road with my camera in weekends and after work. helped a little.

ingey1968
09-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks a lot. What kind of helps now is I can pinpoint the chest pain and I know that's not the norm for heart pain so I can usually talk myself down. One thing I have learned is to stay away from google. That's half the problem right there, I read all these worst case stories and start panicking.