PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Change

sae
09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
One if my greater nits is that I do not function well with change. I recognize this fact so my base reaction is to just smile and pretend it doesn't bother me in the assumption that this is how normal people handle change. It seems now I am faced with a change that is becoming increasingly difficult to smile away.
My best friend, partner in crime, the person that has stood by me as my rock on a daily basis has been promoted and will be moving soon. This is the part where I am supposed to be happy for him, happy for the future changes in our relationship down the road, all the good things that will occur. Here's my confession. I am selfish, wrapped up in the instant gratification of my every day life.
Each day that passes is another day closer to the move. No more family meals every evening, or Sunday church lunches. No more spending our nights binge watching some stupid sitcom until our eyes bleed. I will be alone again, even if I know this is just for a year.
It's my job to smile and be reassuring. The move is equally difficult for all parties involved, not just me. Anxiety turns it into a "me" problem. The what if's machine is quickly cranking out new worst case scenarios. I don't like change, even if it is ultimately a good change.
The part I am struggling with is whether or not my reservations over this change are justified or simply some part of my selfish co-dependant nature.

Kuma
09-05-2015, 08:20 AM
One if my greater nits is that I do not function well with change. I recognize this fact so my base reaction is to just smile and pretend it doesn't bother me in the assumption that this is how normal people handle change. It seems now I am faced with a change that is becoming increasingly difficult to smile away.
My best friend, partner in crime, the person that has stood by me as my rock on a daily basis has been promoted and will be moving soon. This is the part where I am supposed to be happy for him, happy for the future changes in our relationship down the road, all the good things that will occur. Here's my confession. I am selfish, wrapped up in the instant gratification of my every day life.
Each day that passes is another day closer to the move. No more family meals every evening, or Sunday church lunches. No more spending our nights binge watching some stupid sitcom until our eyes bleed. I will be alone again, even if I know this is just for a year.
It's my job to smile and be reassuring. The move is equally difficult for all parties involved, not just me. Anxiety turns it into a "me" problem. The what if's machine is quickly cranking out new worst case scenarios. I don't like change, even if it is ultimately a good change.
The part I am struggling with is whether or not my reservations over this change are justified or simply some part of my selfish co-dependant nature.

I suspect most people would have more or less the same reaction to these circumstances that you do. Sometimes those of us with anxiety think we are more different from "normal" people than we really are.