PDA

View Full Version : Medication I can use just as needed?

Amara
09-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm not on any medication right now. I was on antidepressants for awhile, several kinds over a period of time, and I just felt like a zombie. My problem isn't so much that I'm anxious all the time as it is that I have a lot going on. I just moved to a new country, left a long term relationship, started a new job and don't have many friends. Once in awhile I feel a crushing sense of failure and loneliness that's sudden and incredibly, frighteningly intense. Right now I take half an Ativan when it's really bad, and it really does take the edge off, but it also puts me to sleep.

Does someone know of a drug that I don't have to take regularly, just as needed, and that WONT put me to sleep?

punkgod94
09-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi. If taking a half of an Ativan is making you go to sleep I don't really have any medication recommendations. Aside from anti-depressants which take weeks to kick in, it seems like you're looking more for a "quick fix" which would mean taking benzodiazepines like Ativan, Klonopin, or Valium and Xanax (the last two which aren't prescribed very often because how addicting they are). Just for the record, I have bad anxiety and I've tried several anti depressants as well and they either don't work, make me too tired, or give me other unwanted side effects, so I'm VERY skeptical of how much anti-depressants actually help with anxiety. If you can put up with the side effects though I'd highly recommend Lexapro. Everybody's body responds very differently but I know a lot of people personally who it has worked wonders for.

To help answer your question though, if this is a recurring thing for you (wanting to take the edge off without falling asleep throughout the day), there are some other things you can do that may help. If you have a lot going on all the time it definitely stresses you out (I know!!). There's some suggestions below. I hope this helps for you...

1) Try to meditate or just sit in a quiet place for 15 minutes and focus on the present. Try not to actually THINK! Sit indian style with your eyes closed and a straight back with your arms folded in your lap. Try doing that twice a day and it's supossed to have positive effects...they're not very noticeable but will relax you overall.

2) Take a bath in the mid afternoon (this assumes you work a morning shift). By taking a bath in the mid afternoon it does something in your brain that will make you more relaxed and tired at night time. And of course a good night's rest will help fight morning anxiety and the overall feeling of stress or feeling like crap.

3) Drink some chamomille tea at night. The warmth of tea as well as the chamomille will help you to relax.

4) Stay away from caffeine and sugar when possible. I've had a lot of trouble with this one because I go for whatever's convenient, but lately I've switched over to diet, decaffeinated soda because I drink a LOT of soda throughout the day and it seemed like the easiest thing I could do to help myself.

5) Exercise a little throughout the day - 15-30 minutes of a light workout or taking a nice walk will help.

6) Try to stay away from alcohol

7) Don't eat or drink much for 2-4 hours before your bedtime...especially spicy foods or foods high in fat like fast food, etc. Also make sure to eat at regular intervals and often - this helps regulate your blood sugar which can cause a lot of stress throughout the day.

8) Stick to a regular sleep schedule - even on the weekends. Don't wake up for work during the week at 6am and wake up on the weekends at 2 in the afternoon.

9) Last, and most importantly, take time out during the day for yourself!!! Do something you enjoy!!! Sketch a picture, play violin, read a book, look at the stars, or just spend time with your loved ones.

Moving to a new country can be hard, but you will adjust in time. The move's already made, so just try to explore the country a little and enjoy what is has to offer that your previous country didn't!!! Be a tourist, try some new foods, etc. Leaving a longterm relationship is always stressful, but try to look at the benefits of it instead of letting it get to you. Maybe you have more time to yourself now that you can do something you've never done before. Instead of having to cook dinner for your significant other, maybe you can pamper yourself instead and tend to your own needs that you may have overlooked while in your relationship. Don't try to examine why it didn't work out, just let it be and move on (easier said than done, I know). A new job can be an exciting opportunity. Don't look it negatively - it's an opportunity to meet new people, learn new skills, and potentially make more money, getting better benefits, or something equally as rewarding. And if you don't have many friends, just talk to people at your job. Or go somewhere where you feel relaxed and strike a casual conversation with somebody - a bookstore, a clothing store, a record store, etc. Who knows you could even meet a new boyfriend/girlfriend this way if that's something you're interested in. I hope some of that helps you, even though I know it's not exactly the answer you were looking for.