PDA

View Full Version : Feeling restless/unfocused on meds

superchick22684
09-03-2015, 05:42 PM
My doctor recently added Abilify to the set of meds that I'm on and I've had restlessness which I was told is akathisia. I was wondering if anyone had ever had this happen to them before with a med and how you dealt with it? Just saw my doc today and we're reducing my dosage of the med but wanted ideas on how to deal with it until it goes away from the dosage change.

gypsylee
09-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Hey there..

Abilify is an anti-psychotic as you're probably aware. I haven't been on it specifically but I've been on a couple of anti-psychotics. I f*cking hate these meds.. They're good for knocking you out when you have severe anxiety but in the long run they're horrible. Obviously I have no medical training whatsoever, so this is purely my experience, but yeah just be really careful with them and if they help you that's good.

That restlessness in my experience never went away, it just got worse. Reducing the dose might help - I always just stopped them altogether.

Good luck.. Sorry if this is not helpful but I can't keep my mouth shut re anti-psychotics.

Gypsy x

superchick22684
09-04-2015, 03:35 AM
Gypsy-No worries, I appreciate you being honest about your experiences. My doc has me on them mainly because of my depression but is hoping it will help the anxiety too. So far I've seen the opposite because the higher dosage is driving up my anxiety. Again thank you for your honesty.

jessed03
09-04-2015, 05:37 AM
Uh, akathisia's awful. I experienced that really badly on Remeron. I didn't find any ways to deal with it. Only managed to cope really, after lots of fidgeting.

Like Gyps and your doctor have already said, reducing the dose seems the best thing to do. Hope it brings you some physical peace. :p