PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone conquered anxiety?

Doomed
09-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to defeat their anxiety and panic attacks? I see a couple of threads stickied concerning that topic but I was not all that encouraged by them. I'd rather not spend the second half of my life living the way I have the first. It would be nice to be able to have a career and a family.

Also, does anyone know what causes anxiety and panic attacks? I've been thinking over my life the past few months trying to pinpoint my first anxiety attack. At first I thought it was at 15 but thinking about it again the past few days I believe it was around 12 or 13. I was picked to audition for a movie and when I was interviewed my voice left me and my heart raced.

I'm wondering if growing up in abusive home may have caused these problems. I can also remember being very shy as a child.

needtogetwell
09-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Hi Dooned,

Yes, all of what you have mentioned can contribute to anxiety and panic attacks.

And yes, you can beat this beast. I have for the most part, very very rarely do I have an attack. And when I do the first thing I do is acknowledge it for what it is, then remind myself that it will pass.

A couple of things I would suggest.
1. Get a complete physical, make sure there are no underlying medical issues.

2. Consider a few sessions with a therapist. You have a significant issue to fully deal with (an abusive home). Therapists can also teach you some skills like diaphragmatic breathing and cognitive behavioural therapy which are very helpful.

3. Consider medications to help you get over that "hump". Meds don't have to be forever, nor is there any negative stigma to being on them. Anxiety and panic attacks are real medical conditions, no different than high blood pressure or diabetes.

4. Look at all areas where you can reduce stress.

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

I wish you best of luck.
Cheers'

gypsylee
09-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Growing up in an abusive home will do it. If a child doesn't feel secure they don't develop a proper sense of self-worth, which causes huge anxiety. Everyone's experience is different but yeah if you don't have that emotional security as a child you basically see the world as a very scary place. I've had bad anxiety all my life (I'm early 40s now) and I haven't "conquered" it by any means but I deal with it a lot better. You can do a lot to help it and have a "normal" life but it does take work.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

aicherrrr
09-02-2015, 12:57 PM
The way I visualize anxiety is this. When anxiety first came into my life, I felt like I was trapped in a cage. I have since broken out of that cage and instead locked anxiety inside there. The cage is within me, and will be there for all times. Anxiety is always trying to find ways to escape it's confines and my job is to keep it there. Cage the anxiety and live your life free and happily. That's exactly what I have been doing and it's working great!