PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety medication issues please help

Ellesse Stonem
08-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I am a 16 year old female.

My symptoms are basically the following..

Unexplainable aches and pains
Night sweats
Night terrors
Anxiety
Hot flashes/episodes of extreme sweating throughout the day
Fatigue. Constant tiredness or lack of motivation to do things.
Anxiety attacks involve shaking violently all over and vomiting for hours until there is nothing left in my body & the next couple of days my body is so achy that I can't leave my bed or eat.
I am stuck at this point, my doctor and psychologist said it was most likely side affects to my medication 100mg Sertraline or 40mg propranolol which is a beta blocker, but they haven't done anything to solve this issue. And it is affecting my life so much. Could this be something else? I have had multiple blood tests for almost everything, I feel constantly exhausted emotionally and physically, they're not listening.

NixonRulz
08-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Hi, Ellesse - Sucks that you are going through all of that. And what's worst is that you are only 16

Besides being too young, at 16 no one treats you like an adult and docs usually end up discussing you with your folks instead of listening to the person affected

It may be the meds causing the vomiting but I wouldn't guess much else but I am no doctor. My mom always reminds me of that right before she hangs up on me

It sounds like anxiety with maybe a bit of depression mixed in? I had a bout with depression when I was so sure I would better feel better after so many years

You have had all the blood tests so we can rule out most physical issues. Anxiety never ceases to amaze me

Just reading the things that people go through is crazy. Don't get me wrong, I had many symptoms but they seem to keep evolving in people

Once you figure one thing out, another pops up just to keep you miserable. Anxiety issues only stop once you start treating the anxiety instead of the symptoms it causes.

I think you are anxious and each symptom you experience convinces you it is something other than anxiety, so the anxiety sets itself even stronger in you

You are young and this can be overcome. You are reaching out for help now so this is a great sign that you are at your rope's end. And that is usually when people start making major progress

I wish that for you

J. Ans
08-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Hi, How long have you been on these medications? You didn't mention that. Because, I am not a doctor nor a psychologist/therapist, but these symptoms sound like anxiety, so maybe the medications are not working yet. Sometimes it can take up to 1 1/2 to 2 months for an antidepressant medication to "kick in." I have never taken propranolol, so I don't know how long it can take for that med to take effect. Are they giving you the propranolol for the anxiety instead of an anti anxiety agent such as a benzodiazepine (i.e. Klonopin, Ativan)? Because benzodiazepines work quicker, but people can become dependent on them, and you're such a young age. Can you do yoga or go to acupuncture to help you get through the waiting period until the medication starts to take effect? Hopefully you are in constant dialogue with doctors and loved ones to help you get through this time.
-J.