PDA

View Full Version : Constant anxiety in the workplace?

AnnaP
08-21-2015, 05:00 PM
A bit of background, I'm a female in my mid 20s and have worked in a government call centre for almost 4 years. I have always had this prevailing anxiety about my job performance and this dread of getting fired. It has worsened in the last few months when I've stepped into a new role and my workload has increased.

While I've had no indication that I'm under performing or my job is at risk, I still think about it all the time. It's actually pretty hard to get fired there, as I've seen with people that continually slack off or do the wrong thing, and yet I still obsess and worry day in and out.

It's also the nature of the job. I don't want to be in a call centre for the rest of my life, and am actually part way through a Bachelor's degree in social work. However, I've had to put it on hold to work full time and regain control of my finances. this is an added pressure when I think about suddenly not having a job.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I can combat this day to day anxiety? I try to comfort myself with the WORST case scenario and how I would bounce back from it, but I just hate always thinking about it.

squid
08-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Hi Anna,

It's totally understandable why you would have anxiety about your workplace. Especially when you are trying to work out your finances and are uncertain of how your goals for the future may unfold. A suggestion I have to combat this anxiety is to trust yourself. Trust that as you said, you are able to bounce back no matter what happens.

Take care,

Savannah

gypsylee
08-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Hi Anna,

It's horrible how much financial stress people are under these days. I think it's understandable to have anxiety about your job. Do you have family/friends support to fall back on in the worst case scenario? I think just talking about your worries helps with the anxiety.

All the best,
Gypsy x