PDA

View Full Version : Need to gain weight-scary

Jm27
08-16-2015, 08:23 AM
I have GAD with panic. I've lost 10-15 pounds this year without trying. I'm very thin and don't need to lose more. I'm finally getting the anxiety under control.I've been on zoloft for 3 weeks. I'm at 50 mg now. The past week I've had no panic and anxiety had been much better. Eating better too. I stepped on the scales this morning hoping to have gained a pound or two but I hadn't. I was actually almost a pound less than last weekend. This doesn't help my anxiety as I start thinking there is something else going on such as a hidden cancer. Anyone been through this? How long does it take to start gaining weight?

gypsylee
08-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Get a blood test and that'll tell you if it's anything like diabetes. I lost a ton of weight without trying because my pancreas wasn't working so I wasn't digesting carbs (Type 2 diabetes). Some people just have a fast metabolism though. Cancer is pretty unlikely to be the cause.

All the best,
Gypsy x

MiST
08-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Yea, you don't lose weight with cancer, it's the treatment that does that.

Get a blood test done, you can't self diagnose weight loss because there are hundreds of possible reasons for it.

Jm27
08-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I should have mentioned I've had blood tests. They were normal...platelets, liver, pancreas, sugar, thyroid panel, etc. Stool also normal. I can't help thinking of a friend diagnosed with colon cancer on routine colonoscopy. Her only symptom was weight loss. I have a bit of health anxiety so that's where my mind goes. My doc doesn't seem concerned. I just wish I'd hurry and gain some weight to put my mind at ease. Thanks for your support.