PDA

View Full Version : Should I choose a new Psychiatrist?

thebaseball2001
08-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Hello all I am new here.

A quick background. I have been on meds for anxiety and depression for the past 2 years after getting hit in the head boxing. I had a panic attack, my first, the same night I got hit in the head. I didn't have a concussion according to the hospital after they did a CT scan. I kept getting panic attacks in the following weeks and began seeing a psychiatrist shortly after. Since then I have been to about 3 or 4, switching because I was not comfortable with the individual. I am with a psychiatric nurse practitioner right now and she has me on 2 meds, Brintellix and Seroquel. I take the normal dose of Brintellix and a small (25mg) dose of the Seroquel.

I struggle. I feel agitated and irritated almost every day and throughout the day. I have told her this and she has said to me that we should stick with the meds because I have tried 6 or 7 meds over the past few years. She would rather have me exercise and do CBT, writing down how I feel every day. I get frustrated a little because even though I don't want to count on meds, I feel like they should either be helping or not and if not then change (or come off of it). Just being told to exercise as much as possible and write my feelings down is tough to take when I feel so agitated and anxious every day.

Another bad thing is the Brintellix costs me 75 bucks each month. I want to change off of it for that reason as well.

My question is should I leave this doc? I ask because I have hopped around a bit and don't want to do that all the time. At the same time I feel I am walking on eggshells when I tell her I feel the meds aren't working for me because I know she doesn't want to switch me off of them.

Thanks,
Chad