PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety due to happiness?

temperancebrennan
08-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Hi guys,

I've not posted in a while, but I need some advice.

The past couple of weeks I have been dating the most amazing guy & tonight he asked me to be his girlfriend. Of course I said yes. I've been super happy since I met him, but my anxiety has been kicking in a lot more than it has been for the past few months.

Can anxiety kick in when you're too happy? I'm just super confused because right now, I have literally nothing to be anxious about. He's seen me experiencing my symptoms a couple of times already & he's been so nice about it & really supportive. I'm now just worried that it might continue & potentially affect the relationship in a negative way.

Has anyone got any advice? I'd love to just be happy & not worry about anxiety happening for no apparent reason.

Thank you!

carlak
08-11-2015, 02:34 AM
Hi hi,

I know exactly what you're going through. My mom jokes with me sometimes and tells me that I'm soooooooo overwhelmed with all the happiness in my life that I don't know how to deal with it. lol. For me it's the fear that I can possibly lose this "happiness" that makes me very anxious. I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and I worry and stress about everything ALL THE TIME! I get so lost in my own thoughts that I don't really think about anything else that I use to think about, up til the point where everything and everyone around me feels unreal, or just a figment of my imagination. My boyfriend is also very supportive etc, but I'm afraid that there will come a day where he will just be fed up with everything and end the relationship (Not that I think it will happen to me or you), but being an anxiety sufferer...we worry about everything even if we have nothing to worry about, or nothing serious anyway. We are moving in together at the end of the month so it's a big step, hence all my stress etc...all the "what if's". I'm still struggling will my thoughts and I've started wit Cognitive Behavior Therapy, and I already feel better even if it's only temporary relief from my mind, if that makes sense. I'm not sure if this can help in regards to putting things more into perspective, but at least you know that you are not the only one that's worried about "being too happy". All the best and I'm happy for you.

tryingto
08-11-2015, 02:36 AM
Sometimes when I get really happy, I end up getting anxious because I worry that the happiness won't last and that something bad will happen. I tend to always feel like there's something wrong even though everything seems right. That's just me, though, so I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but it's something to think about! Being anxious when there's nothing to be anxious about really sucks, so I hope you can figure it out soon and feel better! Best of luck. :)

temperancebrennan
08-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Thank you both for you replies. It could be the fear of losing the happiness because I've not been this happy for a long long time. All I can do is hope that it stays around.

Carlak, good luck for the moving in :)