PDA

View Full Version : Bad, bad, bad night - please tell me I'm not going insane

Murakawa
09-02-2008, 02:57 AM
So, I haven't had a panic attack for a while. I guess about three-four months. I've had panicky moments (in the car, at work, in the supermarket), but no real attacks.

Last night was bad.

Things were okay until I had dinner. Not sure what triggered me off there. But as I was eating, I felt really panicky about swallowing and started worrying that I would choke (even though I clearly wasn't going to...)

I sat in front of the TV for a bit and suddenly started focusing on my breathing. I noticed that I was taking really shallow breaths. I panicked about this and ended up having a bit of an 'attack'. I decided to go out for a walk and felt a lot better. I took deep breaths as I walked and did the 7/11 breathing technique.

I came back to my flat and suddenly started feeling panicky again. I looked in the mirror and felt paranoid that I was looking pale. Then I started getting a bit of a headache and I ended up googling 'brain tumour symptoms'! It seems so ridiculous now I think about it.

Anyway, I decided to play Mario Kart Wii to take my mind off of it. It worked really well! Before I knew it, it was 1am but my mind was still racing so I couldn't get to sleep. I felt a bit panicky before I finally fell asleep but not too bad.

I woke up this morning feeling ok... nerves a bit on end and slightly drained, like I've been on a drunken bender. It's funny how anxiety can wear you out so much. I do actually feel slightly bunged up and wonder if I have a cold. But that's the stupid thing with anxiety - I can never tell if I'm really ill or not!

I really posted this to get it off my chest and put things in perspective, but maybe by sharing it some of you can relate? Sometimes I'm really worried that I'm going insane.

Thanks a lot for reading... :)

M

Pokerguy
09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Hello, What you are experencing is completly anxiety and absolutely nothing to worry about...Once you notice one thing you will start to notice evrything trying to diagnose the problem. SO it makes you concentrate on the smallest things to make yourself believe it is real, convincing yourself. If you were chocking you would pass out eventually, so when this happens talk to your self to come up with realistic senarios. You did well do something else to take your mind off it, and the next day you can definetly feel tired. you feel so drained because of all the worring it takes a toll on the body. I am going through alot myself I should take alot of my own advice lol. But to your last question I think I am going insane as well but a person reminded me of someting a doctor told me"A PERSON WHO IS INSANE THINKS HE IS NORMAL AND IF YOU TELL HIM DIFFRENT HE THINKS YOU ARE MAD OR IN ON THE PLAN" So if you think you are going crazy you never will guranteed. Get back hope this helped, my name is TOM