PDA

View Full Version : fasting for anxiety?

motif
09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
anybody tried juice fasting for anxiety, could it work?

northstar
09-01-2008, 12:36 PM
i have never heard of juice fasting for anxiety before? what does it entail and how does it work? for me fasting is a bad idea, not eating in a long time actually results in anxiety so i make sure i keep topped up with nuts and fruit and snacks throughout the day to keep my body happy :)

motif
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, after reading this article I'm willing to try and will report back in a week.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Beautycare-V ... paper.html (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Beautycare-Venus/2032/english/paper.html)

northstar
09-01-2008, 03:16 PM
motif please forgive me for being wary, but i just want to say be careful. the reason i say that is this: anxiety can be caused by not feeding your body properly or by not eating the right foods. it's called hypoglycemia. basically low blood sugar due to not eating enough or eating too much of the wrong foods makes your body release adrenaline & adrenaline can create anxiety & panic attacks.

not eating enough food may affect your blood sugar. equally the sugar in certain fruit juices can have the same effect. if you decide to fast keep an eye on your anxiety or perhaps tell someone around you what you are doing so they can help you out if you need it :)

to be honest i believe the best dietry help for anxiety is to eat plenty of slow burning carbohydrates in small amounts regularly throughout the day. they will keep your blood sugars stable and happy. also i suggest that you keep processed foods, sugars & drinks like coffee, tea, soft drinks and alcohol to an absolute minimum - or if your anxiety is really really bad then cut them out altogether until you feel more stable (be careful cutting out anything that you drink/eat a lot of like coffee, withdrawal symptoms can make you feel bad, take it easy!).

i wish you luck on your fast, please do let us know how it goes :D i know people here appreciate any tired and tested methods!

motif
09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
thanks northstar,
If I won't report back in a week it means I fasted too long... 8)