PDA

View Full Version : Helping Those With Mental Illness Requires A Great Deal Of Altruism

MainerMikeBrown
07-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Many people have a desire to help those with mental illness. They really do enjoy making a difference in the lives of those who struggle with anxieties, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, and other forms of this terrible illness.

But some individuals point out that those who help folks with mental illness, such as therapists and psychiatrists, do so because they just enjoy that kind of work. They do so because helping others benefits them. If they didn't enjoy it, they'd stop trying to help.

However, while nobody who tries to make a difference are completely altruistic, there is still a lot of altruism involved. Lots of others really do care about those they're trying to help.

And that's nothing short of commendable.

gypsylee
07-27-2015, 08:53 PM
I just want to point out that there's a big difference between anxiety and mental illnesses like Schizophrenia and Bi-polar Disorder. The latter are psychotic illnesses caused by chemical imbalance where people lose touch with reality whereas Anxiety Disorder is just a normal function gone into overdrive.

Not arguing with your main idea, just nitpicking the examples :)

Kuma
07-28-2015, 08:57 AM
I just want to point out that there's a big difference between anxiety and mental illnesses like Schizophrenia and Bi-polar Disorder. The latter are psychotic illnesses caused by chemical imbalance where people lose touch with reality whereas Anxiety Disorder is just a normal function gone into overdrive.

Not arguing with your main idea, just nitpicking the examples :)

I sometimes wonder to what extent anxiety is caused by brain chemistry (excess cortisol secretion, for example), and to what extent it is environmental. I guess maybe some of both and varies from person to person. "Mental illness" is sort of a loaded term, in our society -- because many people equate that with "crazy" or "nuts" or "delusional" or "insane" -- but I do wish my brain worked just a little bit differently than it does!

superchick22684
07-28-2015, 11:05 AM
I sometimes wonder to what extent anxiety is caused by brain chemistry (excess cortisol secretion, for example), and to what extent it is environmental. I guess maybe some of both and varies from person to person. "Mental illness" is sort of a loaded term, in our society -- because many people equate that with "crazy" or "nuts" or "delusional" or "insane" -- but I do wish my brain worked just a little bit differently than it does!

I agree that the term "mental illness" is a loaded term because I guarantee that when most people hear it they come up with a mental image of what they perceive a person with mental illness looks like and acts like. They also think of attributes like what you listed above Kuma.

I think that its really hard to know for sure what influences anxiety because it depends on what study you read or who you talk to. Some people with anxiety will tell you that they remember developing it when they were very young or they can't remember a time when they don't remember having it. I've also talked to people who have parents or other close relatives that also have anxiety. That brings up the question as to whether there's a possible genetic element to the equation.

For example, one of my sisters has had anxiety for a good portion of her life and both of her children also have anxiety. So is it environmental or genetic or a little of both??