PDA

View Full Version : My daughter's big anxious wedding.

bizcoach
07-26-2015, 03:17 PM
It's been a trying time for a lifelong social anxiety person like me (male age 56).

My daughter's wedding was fraught with minefields of social events, New people, and opportunities for embarrassment and fight of flight responses. Fortunately for me, I survived without any major melt down events. I attribute this to very detailed planning and preparations by all involved, formatting the reception as a casual outdoor ranch style event with limited amounts of traditional protocol... and for my personal protection, an increase in propanelol and Judicious use of Lorazepam (which I seldom use). I think a deep 10 minute meditation involving breathing rhythm and visualization made a huge impact controlling my mind speed during the final busy push, and actual execution of the event.
It was a success and I managed my way through.

Now I rest.

I hope the rest of you found some peace this weekend.

JohnC
07-26-2015, 03:38 PM
I am sure that i will be a mess when my kids get married. I secretly hope they elope :)

MainerMikeBrown
07-27-2015, 05:20 PM
I think just about anyone would have anxieties and fears about their daughter or son getting married...even for people without serious anxiety issues.

I'm glad you can now rest, BizCoach. It sounds like you did a pretty good job at keeping your anxieties in control. Nice work.

bizcoach
07-29-2015, 06:36 AM
ThAnks Mike
Lack of sleephas taken a toll but I managed a few short hours last night. Hopefully a few extra hours nap today will brighten up my week.

anxietyauntie
07-31-2015, 04:29 AM
As someone trying to organise her own wedding I totally get where the anxiety comes from!
Weddings are supposed to be these big, amazing wonderful affairs, but man are they stressful.

I know you don't know me, and that my opinion probably doesn't matter but... I am proud of you for making it through! That is impressive, and I think worth commending you for. Well done you bizcoach :)

bizcoach
08-02-2015, 05:26 PM
As someone trying to organise her own wedding I totally get where the anxiety comes from!
Weddings are supposed to be these big, amazing wonderful affairs, but man are they stressful.

I know you don't know me, and that my opinion probably doesn't matter but... I am proud of you for making it through! That is impressive, and I think worth commending you for. Well done you bizcoach :)

Thank you Auntie. Best of luck to you and your wedding preparations. It doesn't have to be a monumental event to be meaningful and wonderful. Pace yourself. Procrastination is the enemy. Recruit help.

purweb
08-12-2015, 08:44 AM
I am getting married soon and i know my anxiety has been so crazy lately, haven't really thought about the kind of anxiety my parents have probably been facing as well :/

tough
09-15-2015, 10:17 AM
agree with this completely. Silently begging them to do that!

greightful
09-15-2015, 05:19 PM
I am sure that i will be a mess when my kids get married. I secretly hope they elope :)

Eloping is where it's at. You save money, time and your sanity.

The Intolerable Kid
11-06-2015, 06:31 AM
My wife and I eloped and it was the best thing we could have done. We got married in Jamaica, it was beautiful and relatively stress free (there was no way I could avoid having some anxiety at my own wedding, but I did not have an attack). Best day of my life was the day we got married. By contrast, my brother's traditional wedding was a nightmare.