PDA

View Full Version : Brief Experience

Goomba
07-26-2015, 08:21 AM
On my way to work today I had a fleeting thought of what I would say if I talked to a doctor about some digestion tips. I have mainly thought of doing this to just get some objective information. In it, I thought about problems I had in the past, that aren't really relevant anymore.

Almost immediately, I noticed that my stomach began to churn, and I got some hefty cramps.

This went on for about two-three minutes before I reminded myself that my digestion is good now. The cramps dissipated very quickly.

Although it was never this easy when I used to have issues with anxiety, i do think there is a strong merit to the power of the placebo effect - in both positive and negative ways. Also, when anxious, I would never believe myself when In told myself positive things, so that would be a factor in why I wouldn't reap the benefits of positive thinking.

Not really going anywhere with this, other than wanting to comment on how the more I study them, the more I notice the direct link between thoughts and physical well being. Obviously, they affect mental well being as well. Although it certainly is not everyone's experience, there is a lot to be said for being responsible for your thought processes. Even if anxiety is entirely a physical experience, the severity of it is still often determined by the way we process those physical experiences.

Christheanxiousone
07-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Lately I have been dealing with high levels of anxiety & depression, for roughly a month or so, while these "episodes" are normal for me, it's been hell. Anyway, on to what I was going to say, I do believe that thought process has a lot to do with both anxiety & depression (not saying a slight chemical in-balance doesn't play a role) BUT, just from my own personal experience, I strongly believe that through positive thinking, even though I may not believe it sometimes, I have been able to speed-up my recovery time so to speak. Now, whether that is true or if my brain is just finally settling down and the chemicals are starting to balance out once again, I will never know, but I am a firm believer that changing your negative thought patterns to positive ones (whether you believe them or not) can help with recovery, even if subconsciously, of course that and facing your fears, continuing to do your best to live regardless of how you feel, etc.