PDA

View Full Version : Increased anxiety with SSRI - how long to stick it out

lara123
07-23-2015, 08:06 AM
I was prescribed an SSRI because I have heart palpitations (all kinds of heart tests done already to rule out heart problems). I describe these heart palpitations as an anxious feeling, because I don't know how else to describe them. I have been taking an SSRI (Citalopram aka Celexa). Since taking the medication, I now know what anxiety feels like, and it is even worse than how I felt when having those heart palpitations. The first week of the medication I had a lot of anxiety and one panic attack. I had another panic attack a few days ago. I never had a panic attack before taking the medication. Now I have a low level of anxiety a lot of the time with no change in the heart palpitations. I know it can take a while for these meds to work (I've been on them at a 20mg dose nearly 4 weeks now). I am wondering how long do people think I should try to stick this out? For a long time I refused medication because I really don't think I am anxious, but the doctor told me to try it. I am thinking that I wouldn't be having this anxiety reaction to the medication if there wasn't an underlying anxiety issue to begin with? Or could an SSRI cause anxiety even if I didn't have it to begin with?

Kuma
07-23-2015, 10:08 AM
I was prescribed an SSRI because I have heart palpitations (all kinds of heart tests done already to rule out heart problems). I describe these heart palpitations as an anxious feeling, because I don't know how else to describe them. I have been taking an SSRI (Citalopram aka Celexa). Since taking the medication, I now know what anxiety feels like, and it is even worse than how I felt when having those heart palpitations. The first week of the medication I had a lot of anxiety and one panic attack. I had another panic attack a few days ago. I never had a panic attack before taking the medication. Now I have a low level of anxiety a lot of the time with no change in the heart palpitations. I know it can take a while for these meds to work (I've been on them at a 20mg dose nearly 4 weeks now). I am wondering how long do people think I should try to stick this out? For a long time I refused medication because I really don't think I am anxious, but the doctor told me to try it. I am thinking that I wouldn't be having this anxiety reaction to the medication if there wasn't an underlying anxiety issue to begin with? Or could an SSRI cause anxiety even if I didn't have it to begin with?

SSRIs can cause various reactions, initially, and they differ from one person to the next. But I think the sort of thing you are describing is pretty common. Often, the side effects will abate after some number of weeks, but it is hard to predict exactly how long it will take, because the reactions are so individual. If the side effects are very difficult to tolerate, you could ask your doctor whether a lower dose, initially, might be appropriate, and then, if necessary, slowly increase the dose over time. (I did that, once, and it worked OK for me -- though I know many others just tolerate the side effects until they go away). Good luck.

em1
07-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Hello there I have had heart palpitations for years even tho they can't hurt you they feel quite scary I know,to fully kick in your medicine may take up to 12 weeks and if at the right dose for you to
Tho Propanolol is a fab medicine for heart palpitations,I've been on and off it for years
Hope this helps :)

NixonRulz
07-23-2015, 04:58 PM

Most heart palpitations are caused by incorrect breathing. Shallow chest breathing, which most people with anxiety do, cause the palps.

If you breathe normally with your stomach rising and falling, heart palpitations are no more

Don't deep breathe or slow breathe. Normal breaths seeing your belly go up and down