PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol induced OCD?

Sagittarius
07-22-2015, 09:03 AM
I've had a history of depressive episodes, generalized anxiety, intrusive thoughts since I was a kid. I've generally been able to bounce back on my own without meds. About 3 years ago I began to drink every day to unwind after getting home from work at 10PM. I found the alcohol to be a relief from some of the generalized anxiety symptoms. My usual intake was enough to get a good buzz every night, occasionally enough to feel a mild hangover the next day. The past couple years have been hell with some very severe anxiety and intrusive/obsessive thoughts and feelings. I mean truly bizarre thoughts that cause a huge amount of distress, and have led to a few major breakdowns. I do see them as irrational, stupid thoughts, so I don't think they are delusions, just a new manifestation of severe OCD.

Given the new symptoms, do you think 3 years of mild alcohol abuse could induce new anxiety/OCD symptoms? I quit cold turkey 2 days ago and went on Celexa, with small doses of klonopin as needed. I hope to see some relief soon.

dani20
07-29-2015, 05:47 AM
Addiction itself is a compulsive condition. OCD and alcohol addiction is a dangerous mix because, medication or substance-induced OCD occurs as a direct result of using alcohols or drugs. I have a known friend who was an alcohol addict with anxiety problems. He started drinking to reduce the effects of OCD. Initially, it helped him to an extent, but gradually his self-medication leads to increased suffering. His situation was really bad until he was taken to a nearby alcohol addiction treatment centre in Toronto called Edgewood Health Network. Their rehab has somehow brought back his life to normal.

Goomba
07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
It depends how you look at it.

OCD is more of the way the individual is managing the anxiety, and their world, than it is it's own phenomena.

Alcohol can contribute to heightened anxiety levels, which in turn could influence an individuals OCD.

But, alcohol does not cause OCD.

jon mike
07-29-2015, 02:44 PM
i agree with goomba, alcohol personally heightens anxiety for me, ocd is just a part of that anxiety, lower your stress naturally i would its so much better, well it is for me, i like a drink but loads of drink can set me right off